Hermann Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleydejuliannie

5 Year Member
I have a desk in my bedroom where the turtle house I'm getting would fit perfectly. Am I able to keep a turtle in the same room as me? I will attach the photo of the house I will be buying. ImageUploadedByTortForum1373770886.856739.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kristin_roman

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I have a hatchling hermanns and Greek tortoise, they are both in my room, I have to much going on in the other rooms of my house. There's alot less going on in here, plus I like watching them crawl around whenever I get the chance!

ashleydejuliannie

5 Year Member
Thank you! I am just worried because of the temperature. I want to get it perfect for the tortoise. And with hibernation, do you know what to do?

kristin_roman

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Mine seem to be fine, I have. 100 watt powersun day bulb and 100 watt nighttime bulb, I like my room a little bit chilly to sleep, so that's why I have to higher bulb, but they seem to be perfectly fine with the temps they're always crawling around and exploring!

I'm not too sure what to do with hibernation I just got mine a few months ago, so I haven't gotten there yet. I hope they hibernate! I'll miss them!

Hope they don't hibernate***

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ashley, you need to supply heat for your future tortoise and use accurate thermometers to know the temperatures whether they are in your room or another.

Are you getting an adult Hermann or Hatchling?

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Team Gomberg said:
Ashley, you need to supply heat for your future tortoise and use accurate thermometers to know the temperatures whether they are in your room or another.

Are you getting an adult Hermann or Hatchling?

Heather

Equally as important as correct temperatures is correct humidity levels (ambient, substrate and body hydration). Maintaining the correct hydration is important in general for overall health of all tortoises and absolutely crucial to the well being of baby tortoises.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
GB, would closed chambers work well for Hermann and Russian hatchlings, too?
I use them for the leopards.

I'll admit I don't know much about humidity needs for these guys when they are small.

Heather

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
ashleydejuliannie: I am not trying to be rude at all, but it sounds like you really need to do some reading/research on the care for your tortoise. There's ton's of info on the site. Please read up so that you will be sure to take proper care for your tortoise, like the proper heat for day and night, the proper lighting, substrate, food, and so on. Best of luck to you!! :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you have not acquired the tort yet, I would suggest trying to get a tort that is a little older than a hatchling if this is your first hosting of a tortoise....

Education is key in any venture you get into....yes, this species of tort does naturally brumate as part of its life cycle, so intense research is a good thing....when you first acquire a tort into your care, the first year should not include brumation--this is the time you will spend getting to know your tort and its normal behavior...this will allow you the knowledge to pick up on any unusual behavior in the event your tort should become ill or out of sorts...without this first year you really do not know the ins and outs of your torts personality...

ashleydejuliannie

5 Year Member
I have read research. For a month. I even checked out books from the library. I know most of these things I just want other people's opinions. Ones who own tortoises. Thanks:)

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
I wouldn't buy the tortoise house. A Rubbermaid or cement mixing tub would work better. The wood on the tortoise house doesn't hold up to humidity well. I bought one and was not happy with it. You can use a piece if plexiglass to help hold in humidity.

Also night heat is not needed unless your house is cooler than 65 at night. A daytime/night time gradient is good.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Team Gomberg said:

I'll admit I don't know much about humidity needs for these guys when they are small.

Heather
I'm personally not a fan of "closed chambers". If correct environmental conditions are provided on a regular basis there should be no reason for closed chambers. I also don't like the fact that they do not provide regular, adequate air exchange. I've raised several baby tortoises of many species including most Testudo species, Redfoots, Elongateds, Leopards & Spiders under environmental conditions correct for the species, none with the use of closed chambers and all turned out smooth. I believe that captive care is requires attention to details.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
GBtortoises said:
Team Gomberg said:

Heather
I'm personally not a fan of "closed chambers". If correct environmental conditions are provided on a regular basis there should be no reason for closed chambers. I also don't like the fact that they do not provide regular, adequate air exchange. I've raised several baby tortoises of many species including most Testudo species, Redfoots, Elongateds, Leopards & Spiders under environmental conditions correct for the species, none with the use of closed chambers and all turned out smooth. I believe that captive care is requires attention to details.

I agree with this, air exchange is important and I just can't see how close chambers allow any fresh air in, and not let the air get stagnant.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ok. So regardless of a closed chamber enclosure and without trying to derail the thread, I'll ask it this way..

What kind of humidity levels are needed for the hatchling Mediterranean species of tortoises?

Heather

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
ashleydejuliannie said:
But the home has bars on top so it had air flow. It's meant for professionals.

Problem with them is they are so small, it will work for a little but but they should have room to move and choose mocroclimates within an enclosing. Building one or getting something cheaper would of been way more efficient then the "professional" one. And who are these professionals that designed it? I'm pretty sure they do it more for the money then for the tortoise ;)

ashleydejuliannie

5 Year Member
Good point haha. I haven't bought it yet. If you can get me a link to a better cheaper home I'd appreciate it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.