Hermann Tortoise Food(s) Question

Kisobel

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,

I discovered this forum when I needed assistance with my Hermann tortoise previously and has been really great help!
Herman (what I called my tortosie) has been doing very well. I see them active on days either walking around or not just hiding and awake observing the world.

However I'd like to ask some questions / advice on food items for my little guy as he is currently still stuck on them pellets and honestly I think he just eats less and less due to the fact its lacking green.

I know there is a guide already I have had a look at it, however I cannot go wild picking any time soon due to shifts and lack of areas they grow decently without pesticide. If I were to buy the greens at ASDA, Tesco etc, what should I be looking for? what should I absolutely AVOID. Originally when I got Herman I got told I could feed him Spinach however the guide says otherwise. Are there any websites or stores that provide fresh non dried food for buying? like dandelions and other stuff etc.

Additionally to this, what classes as a "varied diet" like what type of all plants should I be including and how small should they be cut into?

My final part is what is the thing about fruits and tomato's cactus etc?
I have seen Instagram videos where they will feed a baby tortoise or a yr old tortoise like a blue berry or raspberry etc. Are they allowed to eat these? regardless if its "nutritional" or not, are they allowed them for a "sweet treat"? Or are there any specific foods I can give for treats on like birthdays etc.

Any other info regarding food would be appreciated too thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Only a couple tortoises should eat fruit, a hermanns is not one of them. fB, YouTube, they are lousy sources for care info for tortoises and most animals
The type of greens you can feed that are found in most grocery stores is arugula, escarole, endive, dandelion, cactus pads, spring mix with most of the spinach removed. Sparingly kale, mustard greens and collard greens can be fed
A varied diet is one that has as many different items as possible. You can feed all of the different items daily or you can change it up and feed one or two items one day and then something different the next and so on.
The pellets can be added as a smear on the greens to get the tortoise to eat and except the greens.
If it's a hatchling, I like to chop it up very small or you can leave it full leafed and let the baby bite its own size off. If it's closer to adult size, I do not chop it up at all, leave whole
I feed leopards and a Russian all adults.