Hibernating my Hermann tortoise

saaba041

Location (City and/or State)
Oslo
Hi all tortoise-friends!
I have just got into this forum, and I need som tips and advices on my Hermann Tortoise.
Franklin Dumbledore is a 4 year old Hermann Tortoise. I’ve had him(I think it is a boy..) since October 2020. I have never hibernated him before, but I’ve read that he should be ready about now. For 3 weeks I have cut his UV-lamp, so he just have natural light and warmth, and just gave him pellets and water. I have also filled the enclosure with coco husk and sand. However, he does not show any signs of digging himself down or getting into hibernation, so I have no idea what I should do. I know I should lower the temperature even more, but since I live in Norway and there is -15 C I can’t have him in the garage etc. So the only colder alternative is the fridge. What should I do? Isn’t he ready for hibernation yet, should I just trust the process or what? A bit concerned for him🥺
Also; I read that the coco husk was supposed to be humid after it had been mixed out in water, so I poured somre water over it. However I tok way too much and now all the sand is wet and Franklin has got lot of sand on him..should I wash him?
Thanks a million, and don’t hesitate with reaching out on ig if you would like to be turtle friends, @sarayasminabid

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all tortoise-friends!
I have just got into this forum, and I need som tips and advices on my Hermann Tortoise.
Franklin Dumbledore is a 4 year old Hermann Tortoise. I’ve had him(I think it is a boy..) since October 2020. I have never hibernated him before, but I’ve read that he should be ready about now. For 3 weeks I have cut his UV-lamp, so he just have natural light and warmth, and just gave him pellets and water. I have also filled the enclosure with coco husk and sand. However, he does not show any signs of digging himself down or getting into hibernation, so I have no idea what I should do. I know I should lower the temperature even more, but since I live in Norway and there is -15 C I can’t have him in the garage etc. So the only colder alternative is the fridge. What should I do? Isn’t he ready for hibernation yet, should I just trust the process or what? A bit concerned for him🥺
Also; I read that the coco husk was supposed to be humid after it had been mixed out in water, so I poured somre water over it. However I tok way too much and now all the sand is wet and Franklin has got lot of sand on him..should I wash him?
Thanks a million, and don’t hesitate with reaching out on ig if you would like to be turtle friends, @sarayasminabid
Here is the info you need immediately:

And here is the info you need after that:

saaba041

Oslo
Here is the info you need immediately:

And here is the info you need after that:
T
Thank you, Tom!