Hermann Tortoise Care

PoseidonSB

Hi All.

I recently just got a Hermann Tortoise (delivered yesterday)

I have obviously done a lot of research on the care but I would be very grateful for some advice from people on the care especially over the first few weeks. just to give some more information...
I am in Ireland the Tortoise in about 2 and half years old. He will be indoors mostly in a Tortoise table which I haven't got yet.
Besides a heat lamp what will I need to have? I know from reading online that the Hermann Tortoise don't need heatmats despite what the pet store said.
And what should I feed him? he arrived today and doesn't seem to be too interested in food which considering the travelling isn't that surprising. he was drinking and had a bath in shallow water and is very active.
And one final question how often and how much should they eat? do I need to monitor the food or will they just eat when hungry.

I know I put a lot of information on there but would be really grateful for the help.

Stephen

P.S. I will include photos later :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
You are correct that they do not need a heat pad. It can be dangerous for Herman's, as they are not used to heat from below and can overheat.

I'm all for plopping a pile of food in and letting my tortoise graze. They are grazers in the wild and tend to nibble throughout the day. If you just got your tort yesterday, expect him to take a week or two to acclimate. He may spend a lot of time hiding, and not eat a lot. As long as he doesn't appear unhealthy (runny nose/eyes), leave him alone as much as you can to establish a routine for himself and settle in :)

PoseidonSB

Pokeymeg said:
You are correct that they do not need a heat pad. It can be dangerous for Herman's, as they are not used to heat from below and can overheat.

I'm all for plopping a pile of food in and letting my tortoise graze. They are grazers in the wild and tend to nibble throughout the day. If you just got your tort yesterday, expect him to take a week or two to acclimate. He may spend a lot of time hiding, and not eat a lot. As long as he doesn't appear unhealthy (runny nose/eyes), leave him alone as much as you can to establish a routine for himself and settle in :)

Pokeymeg thank you so much for that, I haven't seen him eat so was getting a little concerned. But he is wandering around and I've seen him in having a bath a couple of times so I figured the journey just put him off the food.
Nice to hear it from someone not trying to sell me something though :)