Hermann hating water?

robmasako85

Ok, I have a routine of soaking my little tort every other day... And every other day it's a struggle, my tort hates water. The max length I can soak is about 10 minutes. I make sure the water is warm but not too warm, the level just covers her plastron and I have tried different dishes to no avail. She has a shallow dish of water in her enclosure and I do occasionally see her drink. Anything I could try or anyone else's torts hate the water?

Natalie Jean

Location (City and/or State)
Uk, Cornwall
I've had my hermanns since November and she's not a fan either to be fair- she kinda chills after a while and will just rest and soak though. I guess if temps and environment and everything else is right- some just aren't keen!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
If you have a temp gun, use it on the water to achieve 90-95F. What you "feel" is warm may actually be too hot. Try different temperatures. Otherwise, just give your tortoise some time to get used to it. I know mine didn't like it at first.. about two months later they just lounge around enjoying spa mornings.

robmasako85

Thanks everyone! Yes. I have a thermometer and have done 90-95, and tried a bit ( not much) warmer, and a bit cooler. She will actually get panicky, run around the dish, try to climb out the sides etc. Once in a blue moon she has just sat, I will then try and recreate the exact scenario again, to no avail! Silly tort. Other than that she is doing really well, is super active, likes to dig in loose substrate and loves her greens!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
My guys were never fan of water. I started feeding them as they soaked. I hold their food up, so they don't swallow too much water as they eat.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
I have two Hermans and neither like their bath! I never see them bathe in their own water or drink but the most I can get them happily in the water is up to 10 mins too!

37-13.8.14.jpg