Not drinking from the dish

Kingkeeper

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia
Hello all, my hatchling hermann seems to enjoy drinking from the sides of the enclosure when I spray it down. I have not seen him drinking from his water dish yet, I have had him about two weeks he is about 16 weeks old. I give him a soak every day for about 10 minutes but he seems to hate the water. Should I be nervous that I am not seeing him drinking?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I rarely see my tort drinking from his dish or even in his soak, but I know he's OK and not dehydrated because he pees OK and his urates aren't gritty I assume he's absorbing water via his cloaca and I also wash and soak his leaves before feeding so they are hydrated which helps his water intake.
Can you post a pic of his water dish so we can see if that's affecting him?

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
I think as long as you continue giving your tort daily soaks, he/she should be fine. You may want to increase the soak time to 15-20 minutes if you're concerned. Even longer than that won't hurt.

My little guy didn't drink water hardly at all at first but now I've noticed he's drinking both during his soak and from his water dish during the day. It seems like it takes them a while to learn to drink water.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post a pic of the water dish. It might be the dish.
The best ones to use is a clay saucer, the kind that goes under flower pots. Then bury it so its level with the top of the substrate.