Am I doing this right???

littlestar

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
My Hermann tortoise Star is a couple months old now. I have her in a long 20 gallon tank (it might be 30 I’m not sure), with a little water dish, a red UV light. I let her roam every day. I’m thinking I should get her a bigger enclosure but I don’t know if it’s allowed.

image.jpg

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I'm not sure what you mean by not allowed, but you should definitely get a bigger enclosure, the tortoise will take advantage of all the space and you won't have to let it roam. I don't think there are red UVB lights, I could be wrong, but you probably have a UVA. You probably need a UVB Tube so she can process calcium properly. A tank wouldn't be the proper size for a Hermanns. I like the pic!

littlestar

Arkansas
I'm not sure what you mean by not allowed, but you should definitely get a bigger enclosure, the tortoise will take advantage of all the space and you won't have to let it roam. I don't think there are red UVB lights, I could be wrong, but you probably have a UVA. You probably need a UVB Tube so she can process calcium properly. A tank wouldn't be the proper size for a Hermanns. I like the pic!
Thank you for your feedback! I’ll try and see what I can do..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Hermann tortoise Star is a couple months old now. I have her in a long 20 gallon tank (it might be 30 I’m not sure), with a little water dish, a red UV light. I let her roam every day. I’m thinking I should get her a bigger enclosure but I don’t know if it’s allowed.
Hello and welcome.

A 20 gallon is way too small and red bulbs shouldn't be used over tortoise. The only place your tortoise should be roaming is inside its large enclosures, indoor or out.

Care for hermanni is the same as for a Russian tortoise, so check these out:

Questions and conversation are welcome! :)