Hermann’s and Russian

Grace-Sophia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello all, can I have my Hermann’s and Russian in a 16’ outdoor enclosure together? I’ve seen people do it before, but I have a feeling that you aren’t supposed to, I thought I’d double check though!

Grace-Sophia

Texas
No is the simplest answer! Your feeling is correct. Different species need to be kept separately.
Thank you! Is this because of territorial threat or is it because of potential disease spread? Can two testudos spread sickness to one another?

Grace-Sophia

Texas
can they be taken outside together and be in the same general area while I watch them? Of course I wouldn’t leave them alone together but I would just love to get a photo of them together! 🥹
@wellington

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Two tortoises should never be together and species should never be mixed for both reasons you mentioned, pairs/territorial and diseases, etc.
If they can walk over the same ground then that's a possible transmission

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all, can I have my Hermann’s and Russian in a 16’ outdoor enclosure together? I’ve seen people do it before, but I have a feeling that you aren’t supposed to, I thought I’d double check though!
Definitely not. Species should never be mixed for both of the reasons you mentioned.

Further, they should not even be in the same outdoor enclosure at different times.

Many people take risks with this sort of thing because they just don't know better and have not yet encountered a problem with disease or aggression. Once they do, they wish they had known better BEFORE the damage was done. You now know better, and one or more of your tortoises does not have to die for you to learn this lesson.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Definitely not. Species should never be mixed for both of the reasons you mentioned.

Further, they should not even be in the same outdoor enclosure at different times.

Many people take risks with this sort of thing because they just don't know better and have not yet encountered a problem with disease or aggression. Once they do, they wish they had known better BEFORE the damage was done. You now know better, and one or more of your tortoises does not have to die for you to learn this lesson.
Is there a way to get my Russian tested for herpes to ensure the safety of my Hermann?