Hercules, preoperatively

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh lordy. Fingers crossed everything turns out ok. Is it being done by a good tortoise vet?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Do you have pictures of the x-rays by chance? They always fascinate us. Who is doing the surgery? If it goes well we love to give recommendations.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Have you looked into doing it without surgery? I have a vet who does that routinely on many tortoises. Most of the time that can be done if they know how.

$150 - $300 vs a thousand?? for surgery.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mark - I'm VERY interested to know this procedure.

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
Dr. Tom Greek. The stone is baseball sized. Herc has lost a lot of weight and is more lethargic than he was last year. I don't have a copy of the x-ray to share but it was incredible! That rock has to come out or he will waste away.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh geez, so sorry you two have to go thru this. Best of luck all goes great and a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Dr. Tom Greek. The stone is baseball sized. Herc has lost a lot of weight and is more lethargic than he was last year. I don't have a copy of the x-ray to share but it was incredible! That rock has to come out or he will waste away.

I might be morbid (or it might be professional curiosity since I was a vet assistant for 7 years) but I would ask to see it after. I'm sure i'm not the only one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I've heard very good things about Dr. Greek.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I've always wondered why they can't do the electronic zapping thing like they do to break up human kidney stones.

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
Dr Greek x-rayed two of my "boys" together last year. The other has a very small stone, and it was clear that the x-rays were real and current.
Dr. Greek also mentioned that another vet is removing bladder stones through a leg hole now. The down side is that it takes much longer and the tort must stay under anesthesia that much longer.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
She removes it in pieces through the cloaca. Uses a scope and instrument ear nose and throat Drs use to remove thing from ears and nose. Once sedated she works on the stone chipping pieces away until it is a size she can pull out.

I had a tortoise with a stone a few years ago. The first time I've ever had a tortoise with this issue. Another recommended reptile vet in the area examined and took xrays. Said it was too big and nothing could be done short of surgery - and even then - a doubtful prognosis. I took the X-ray and tortoise to a few more and found Dr Brick. She said she was pretty sure she could treat successfully. Took her about an hour but got it all. The tortoise is doing great to this day. No incision or surgery at all. Just the effects of sedation to recover from. She has done this procedure with A LOT of tortoises

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA

I remember, you posted about him in the fall/wiinter right?

I hope he feels better soon and will be looking for the update. Dr. Greek is our vet but I'm hoping we'll never have to see him for any thing other than a check up.

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
Surgery was successful and Herc is awake and breathing on his own.
They will keep him in the hot room, about 85 f for a few days, getting pain meds. When he starts fighting them they will send him home.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Good to know! Hope he has a full recovery and gets right back to his former glory!

Kasia

Poland
I expect him to return to his hobby of moving furniture! He can push a huge potted plant out of a corner to make a new place to sleep. Patio furniture arrangement is like a passion for him.
Best wishes for Herc :)

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hercules is home today, eating some favorite foods and sleeping in the sun. Here are pictures of his x-ray and of his fiberglass patch:ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491846825.338755.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491846852.788391.jpg

There is some optical illusion about his size, he's not as big as he looks here! He is about 12 inches long and 12.7 pounds.

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hercules is about two weeks post op now and he came home after a week. His recovery is slow. He sleeps in his favorite spot every night and comes out every day but he walks more slowly and has a poor appetite. He will eat if he is hand fed, so we give him some dandelion flowers and greens, some watermelon in thin slices, and some lettuce. It's not a great diet but I just want to get some food into him. I'm not sure how much he's pooping because the other two also sleep in the same place. I've put him into his big shallow water dish every day and I think he drinks a little.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Hercules has been through a lot. Poor baby.
Did you find out about his stone, how? Routine check up, or noticed something else? Also, kinda weird question, who has the stone that was removed? Kept by vet or do you have? That sucker looks huge.