Human kindness: overflowing! I

Kenno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I take care of three rescued adult desert torts. Last year at a routine checkup, I learned that Hercules has a very large bladder stone. He showed no symptoms, so I decided to watch and wait.
Last week he wasn't walking well and had little appetite. One day he seemed agitated and uncoordinated, and I noticed that he had lost weight. I scheduled a vet visit (with a highly respected tort vet) and began to think of ways to raise a thousand dollars for complex bladder stone removal.
I'm a musician, so I decided to sell a concertina out of my collection of four. I went to Concertina dot net and posted a buy and sell notice, saying that I had a pet who needed surgery or I would never have offered this special concertina for sale.
The first response was from a smart alec who said, "Put the animal down and keep the concertina. Why make the vet richer?"
Next, a couple of regular posters attacked him! Then I got a suggestion that the board members might be willing to send me money so that I could keep both the animal and the instrument! Quite a few others offered to contribute!
I read these responses on the morning of Hercules' appointment, and I was so choked up that I couldn't speak!
Herc seemed a lot better at the vet's office, probably responding to hand feeding of many yummy tort favorites, including pricey dandelion greens from Whole Foods. He had dropped from 20.4 Kg to 20.0, but the vet feels he can wait until Spring for this operation. Herc has continued to improve and today has grazed on grass and weeds for a couple of hours.
I received a great offer from a gentleman on concertina dot net who said he would be honored to buy, play, and curate this great concertina, so I have accepted that offer and will bank the money for a surgery in the spring. I've decided that the concertina has earned a name, in honor of the generosity of those musicians. So it will now be known as the Herrington Hercules. I've placed a plaque on its case and it will be shipped off today.

Here's a picture of Hercules and the instrument:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470773242.283109.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great story. I don't under stand the waiting to do the surgery though. If there is no chance of passing it on his own, why wait for him to possibly get weaker and not make it through? I would question that decision. Besides, the worse it or he gets, the more expensive the surgery will be.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
What an absolutely smashing story!
There are still some wonderful people about in this world, it really lifts the spirits.
And I might add, i think you're probably one of them.
And a big hurrah! for the Herrington Hercules!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't wait for the surgery. A bladder stone is quite painful, and he has already shown symptoms. The stone gets in the way of the urine passing out of the bladder. They stop eating and just wither away to skin and bones then they die. It is a long, slow, painful death. If it were my tortoise, and I had the money, I would have the surgery now while he still has a good weight and is basically healthy enough to withstand the operation. Who knows what his health will be after winter. And if you do decide to wait until Spring, definitely DO NOT allow him to hibernate.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
One Sulcata that was owned by a member here and was the favorite of many of us died shorty after surgery for a stone that had gone un diagnosed too long.
Best of luck to you both.

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
This vet prefers not to do the surgery this late in the year. Herc has returned to normal behavior and is eating very well. The plan is to fatten him up! He doesn't hibernate anyway, he just slows down in the winter months but continues to come out and eat grass every day.
This is the great tort vet in Yorba Linda who has been so highly recommended here.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't care how highly recommended this vet comes, I would question waiting also. How does the tortoise indoors with artificial heat if you need to. You can keep him clean, warm and hydrated, keep an ion him for any issues. I don't think you would just take him straight from the vet and plop them out in the backyard again would you? So you might as well do the surgery now. By the time spring gets here he'll be more than ready to get out there and be a natural tortoise again.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I think the OP is referring to Dr. Tom Greek?

Dr. Greek has kept outdoor tortoises in our mild climate most of his life. He is *the* recommended vet by my local tortoise club and knows his stuff. It sounds like he has been monitoring the stone for a while?

That said, the previous comments by senior members are very good ones. I'm sure Dr. Greek would be happy to answer any questions the owner has, if he is unsure about the timing. He has certainly been patient with me!

Kenno, I wish your tortoise a safe recovery and a very long life.

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks to all who have offered advice. Herc had probably carried this stone for many decades without symptoms. In the last week he has lost his lethargy, regained (redoubled) his appetite, and returned to his hobby of moving patio furniture. I'm going to take his doctor's advice and schedule surgery in the spring.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Wishes for Hercules to get well soon . :)

Please keep us updated.;)