Help with my digital thermometer

tortoise.elma

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi everyone, so I recently just bought a digital thermometer (I believe for water and humid terrarium conditions) and I just want to clarify how to use it, including some questions!

So it said when you stick the suction cups outside of the enclosure and turn it on, it works, but I'm not sure what it is suppose to say digitally and what is the right temperature for it to be? Unless I read it in the back but I just want to make sure! Thanks. IMG_20190101_153904508.jpegIMG_20190101_153850527.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My answer is not entirely helpful to you.

Stick it well away from any source of heat and it will measure the ambient temperature in the enclosure.

It is useless for spot temperatures in the enclosure such as the temperature under the basking lamp.

Ypu would be better off with a temperature gun type thermometer like this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013Z8NHCG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
I’d suggest getting a thermometer similar to this.

IMG_5332.jpg

Yours will work, but it can only measure one spot and it takes time to adjust.

tortoise.elma

Massachusetts
Thanks! As a low budget family, I'll be sticking with this for now. I'll buy one like that soon!

Is there a specific temperature I need for the one I'm using right now? (By the way its ranging to the 70's)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I’d use the probe end for checking water soaking temps. Keep the water temp at your overall background temp.