Infrared digital thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
I use the Pro Exotics PE 1 and find it to be a great little toy. Err, tool. Yes, it is a tool, not a toy :) I love it, use it for Turtle, the geckos and the snakes...$25 well spent for sure.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa I also have the Pro Exotics PE1 and find it pretty accurate and even bought myself a different make and model and found it to be fairly accurate also. I love them wouldn't, OK maybe couldn't do without one any longer. :)

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
The differance in these two models (PE1 or PE2), other than price, is the distance to spot ratio! If you are checking temps from a distance, the PE2 in more accurate. If your holding up close, both are equal!

Like already stated, they are a toy/tool. More accuracy at a distance for me is more a want than a need, and worth a few extra dollars!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for the info Betts :)
With all your advices, I am going to oder one of those (I think I am going to order the PE1 since I only need it to see the temps in Hermy's enclosure) and I will forget about the Rzilla.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
That should be fine Stace, I have similar ones in my gecko tanks. Mine aren't hygro's too though, just thermometers.
Depending where the sensor is for humidity you may have to just have it on the ground (the display/box part) to get the best readings, hopefully it will tell you in the instructions (and hopefully it won't get pee'd on :) ). I have indoor/outdoor/hygro's in my snake cages, I'm down one now as Peggy Sue decided it would make a nice toilet a few days ago!! Naughty snake!

Edit: A thought as I'm heading out the door for work...
Remember to bury the wire under the substrate, Turtle had much fun dragging his probe around. I finally tired of it and took it out, now I just use my PE 1 to monitor his temps.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
No problem Stace :D
I can't wait to get it, I will order it soon :D. Hermy is going to think I am crazy all proud to take the temps in his enclosure :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa when I first got mine I was taking temps of everything, every room in my house all the tort enclosures inside and out all over the enclosure, even the dogs. My dog Jazz likes to chase red lazer lights and when I pointed it at her she jumped for it. LOL, I had to move quick as I wan't expecting it. Then I let her see it up close and she has never done it again (silly dog)

Stace I have several like you just got. I just taped the sensor to the side so it was touching the substrate. My torts never bothered with it once it was taped (just don't tape it in a corner).

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I imagine your dog chasing after the laser and it must be sooo cute :D
I can't wait to order it :D, it is going to be fun to know the temps of every rooms of my house :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
It is a fun tool but you really can only see the red light if you look directly at the thermometer. I just usually play with Jazz with one of those laser toys for cats. It's just too funny watching her try and catch it. Sometimes she's just soooo cat like. LOL
Enjoy yours and let us know what you think of it. :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You can get a couple cheapo models of digital infrared thermomoeters at Harbor Freight as well-

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93983 for $12.99,

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93984 with laser sight for $24.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451 a high-temp version for $29.99

I use the first one and am happy with the results. It does not work as far away as other models, but is quick, cheap, and effective. I don't have anything to calibrate it against but it gives readings similar to my cooking thermometer, etc.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I hope Hermy will not play with it too much in my absence, because the batteries will not last long :D (with him and I playing with it :D)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Apparently the batteries last years and years in these things as mine will turn off after a few seconds after you push the button to measure the temperature.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
tortoisenerd said:
Apparently the batteries last years and years in these things as mine will turn off after a few seconds after you push the button to measure the temperature.

That is great :D Thank for the info Kate.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
FYI-Carolina Pet Supply has free shipping in the U.S. on the PE1 now with a pre-order. I think I saw $25.99 on the e-mail I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.