help with making hatchling eastern box enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
i posted tghis thread in turtle specific area, but thought i would get a better response if i put it here as well. i have 13 eastern box turtle eggs incubating and i want to be well prepared for when they hatch. i have a 40 gallon tank that i will be keeping them in over winter, until i can put them back outside. does anyone have advice on how i should make it? substrate, depth of substrate, what you used for water source, types of live plants, lighting requirments? any advice and pictures would be great. thank you in advance.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I keep mine in rubbermade tubs with coco coir - about four inches deep so they can dig in. I use a small plant saucer dug in so they can easily get in and out on their own. I don't use any plants - just some clay pots cut in half and logs to climb on and hide under. I keep the tub slightly tipped so that one side stays wetter and the other side drier. I get them outside once a week - so I don't use extra lighting. Hope that was helpful!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I keep mine in planted vivariums. I found many years ago that these hold the humidity much better. I put about 4 inches of substrate...soil, peat moss, mixed with some cypruss mulch, and on top of all that I add moss around the water dish and lots of leaf litter. I don't use hides for the hatchlings...I found that they will dig under where they want to anyway. I put lots of moss at one end of the viv. under a large plant. I wet it and squeeze it out and fluff it up. In the Fall I usually save a big bag of leaves, but if I don't have any, I'll cut a few branches off some trees and just let the leaves dry out, and then pull them off and crunch them up. On top I have a screen cover with a hole at one end which I put a heat emitter through. On the other end I put a long tube 5.0 UVB light. Low light, high humidity, plenty of plants, and a place to dig under... Go to this site and look at his pictures. It is my favorite site for hatchling enclosures....one of the best IMHO.

http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingbabyturtles/tour1.htm

He has plenty of pictures and I've copied lots of his vivariums.

This is a set up I have now with nothing in it yet.....not for a boxie though. That's just a log in the cornor that I hollowed out and filled with moss...They will usually just go dig under in there.

003-34.jpg

004-32.jpg

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
wow. great pictures. thanks for the advice. how long will you keep them in there for before you move them outside?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This summer I just put some two year olds and some three year olds outside. I'll probably take in the two year olds. The other's will stay out to hibernate. I was thinking of leaving them all out, but I keep looking at the two year olds, and they're still so small.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
terryo, I love turtletails.com. I spent two hours reading everything on there today. What a great website. Thanks for sharing that with us.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
The owner of that site's name is Tom, and he's very nice and willing to answer any questions you have. Great site.

Status
Not open for further replies.