HELP WITH BABY EASTERN BOX ENCLOSURE

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
I have 13 eatsen box turtle eggs incubating and want to be prepared for when they hatch. i have a 40 gallon tank that i want to keep them in for the first few months until next spring when i can put them outside. can you all please explain how you have made hatchlings enclosures, substrate, depth of substrate, types of live plants, and what you used for water, etc. if you have pictures could you please send them. i want this enclosure to be perfect and ready for when they hatch. thank you all in advance.

View attachment 5306

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Does that read out at the top of the fixture show the temp inside? If so, its too cool. Should be between 83 and 86 degrees.

Main thing to remember about baby box turtles is that because they are SO small, they dehydrate quickly. When my babies are brand new, I soak them every day.

I have several baby box turtles from this past September. They're all outside in a cement mixing tub. I have a few cuttings of succulents planted around the tub, however, I'm always having to dig them up in order to find the babies. There are two hiding places, a little water dish and a feeding tile. Over the whole thing I have the top to a guinea pig or rabbit cage. The stand that the cement mixing tub is on has its legs sitting in cottage cheese tubs full of water to discourage ants from climbing in. The substrate is a mixture of clean potting soil (no fertilizers or additives) and cypress mulch and about 4 or 5 inches deep. They love to bury themselves.

babyboxturtles-1.jpg

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
83-86 degrees? thanks, i was told 80 degrees. i just put it up to 83. great idea about preventing ants from crawling up. thanks for replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.