Eastern Box Turtle Hatchling Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfthesecond

5 Year Member
I am hopefully getting an Eastern Box Turtle Hatchling. Would be alright if i housed it with a sub adult eastern box? Any tips on it would be appreciated. Surf The Second

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Hi Welcome to the forum. What is your name? I wouldn't advise putting a hatchling with any other size box turtle. I have three hatchlings now and even though they are so small, I still have to separate one when I feed them as he is an aggressive eater. Hatchlings will stay buried under leaf litter all the time and will eat just about any little moving bug, so they don't need a lit of space when they are that small. If I had only one, I would keep it in a 10 gal. planted aquarium, with a small water dish (I use the bottom of a plant pot...almost flat saucer), a nice plant for her to sit and hide under, and on one side a bunch of leaf litter or long fiber moss for her to bury herself in. I would NEVER keep a small hatchling with a bigger boxie.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum...

I am in agreement with Terry on not putting them together. I have three hatchlings all from the same clutch and the bigger if the three is so aggressive when we feed them that we have to seperate them so that they all can eat in peace.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This is the set up I have for the three hatchlings I have now. It's a 40 gal sperated in half with a piece of tile.
009-56.jpg

019-32.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi surfthesecond:

Welcome to the Forum!!

Another thing to think about: Baby box turtles are VERY carnivorous and sometimes eat each other. I would NOT put a hatchling in with an older box turtle.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Like Emyemys they are carnivorous until they are adult then they eat more leafy greens than meat, but you need a place for your hatchling during winter Do not Hibernate. Until he/she is four years old. Also you should separate them because the other one may bully the other, and it will out compete for food. Well good luck:D. I hope I was help.

Thank the LORD for Everything:D.

surfthesecond

5 Year Member
Eastern box outdoor encloser

Can 4 inch eastern box live with a hatchling in a wading pool?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi surfthesecond:

May we know your name?

Like I've said previously, box turtles eat each other. If you want to find your hatchling's legs and tail bitten off by the 4" turtle, that's the chance you will be taking if you put them together. The baby doesn't stand a chance against the larger 4" turtle. I speak from experience.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
surfthesecond said:
Can 4 inch eastern box live with a hatchling in a wading pool?

The pool needs to be deep enough for him/she to get wet and soak and drink but also not to deep where they won't drown and can get in and out

Status
Not open for further replies.