Help with enclosure

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Hi,
I am interested in rescuing a Sulcata, and I know all about her, and I'm supposed to drive out to pick her next week. I have gotten most of her (outdoor) enclosure ready, I just have some questions.
I have fenced in a 20' by 10' piece of land with cinder blocks 2' deep into the soil, and made sure all the plants are completely edible. She has a house to rest in with a heat emitter off the ground, and I have made everything is safe for her.
I'm not sure what do about water though, because I live in a VERY wet area that super humid and usually soggy most of the summer months. Does she still need a pool to sit in if the weather is wet?
Also, I will be feeding her a variety of recommended greens, but should I supplement this with a commercial food? I have read mixed opinions on the stuff, and I'm not sure if it's REALLY necessary.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
You should always have drinking water available for her, not necessarily a pool. Although a pool would be nice for her, you can soak her a couple of times a week in a plastic tub. If the ground is wet and soggy you might find that she likes to throw mud on her back. How big of a sulcata are you going to get? The commercial food is optional. I use it to supplement my sulcata's diet. Here in the summer most of the weeds die off and the grass struggles under the summer sun, so the commercial food comes in handy.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I too would offer a source of drinking water....since you say the space is wet and soggy....I would make sure that there is someplace that the tort can get out of the wet so that the tort can allow the shell to dry out from time to time to maintain the overall health of the shell......commercial foods are good if you feel the diet may be lacking.....but if the space is covered in turf/grass then that is a great food source and I would not use a commercial food on a daily basis but perhaps offer as a weekly gorging treat....:p

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I see we both have the same issue with soggy ohio ground. My enclosure has a concrete slab & my sully often sits on it to bask. Maybe you could dig in a few pavers? I have a large terra cotta plant saucer in mine for drinking & it works great. I use Mazuri twice a week to fill in my diet.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
She's an adult. The whole area is covered in grass and sulcata-safe plants for her to eat. I though about just covering in in rocks, but I wanted her to be able to eat... She does a have a little, like rock island to sit on. I'll dig a little spot a dish then... can't wait to meet her!
Thanks guys!

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
That's a nice size. She should do well. You say it's wet where you are, how is the temp? She will still need access to shallow, fresh water, even though she may not use it much. And a spot to get out if the dampness and dry off and bask. Sounds like you've got everything covered! Mine lives in my backyard, but I have 1/2 acre. He has a large water dish, rarely even goes near it but I keep it clean and full.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
It is usually 70-80 in the summer, but can go into the 60s. I read that's warm enough for her... Thank you:D I did my research!

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Just a suggestion, though I'm no expert, you may want to consider a way to create a spot for her that is warmer than 70's. Even 80's. A warm spot is important for their digestion.
If it's wet often, I assume there's not much sun often?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
She does have a hot spot at the back, where her house is. It is usually 90s in the house, so that is nice hot spot.
There is some sun during the day, and it doesn't get much colder at night, so is the one hot spot okay?

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I would hope so. Where I live, my problem is the opposite, too hot! Lol.
Hopefully someone from up North can help you with that.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:D Then they get air conditioning! Okay, I will see if it gets too cold in there in the day... put some water in too. I hope she'll like it!

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hi,
I am interested in rescuing a Sulcata, and I know all about her, and I'm supposed to drive out to pick her next week. I have gotten most of her (outdoor) enclosure ready, I just have some questions.
I have fenced in a 20' by 10' piece of land with cinder blocks 2' deep into the soil, and made sure all the plants are completely edible. She has a house to rest in with a heat emitter off the ground, and I have made everything is safe for her.
I'm not sure what do about water though, because I live in a VERY wet area that super humid and usually soggy most of the summer months. Does she still need a pool to sit in if the weather is wet?
Also, I will be feeding her a variety of recommended greens, but should I supplement this with a commercial food? I have read mixed opinions on the stuff, and I'm not sure if it's REALLY necessary.
you got alotta turts! love the pics by the way, and now your getting a sully, very cool!!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Northeast Ohio. She is all settled! Little cold out today, so she is in her house :D Posting pics soon!!

kball

I live in ohio to and have the same problem I just got some flat rocks from the creek and boiled them and they live to sit on them and eat the grass in between