Help with enclosure

Dessy

Hello everybody i just joined Tortoise Forum and this is my first post :) i have had my baby sulcata for about a month now and i am finally going to fix his enclosure. I have a small one for now and am trying to find a way to increase humidity but have no experience handling plexiglass or anything :p im buying his humidifier today and decided to add plastic shower curtains along the side to trap in moisture.

Its small but i will be making him a bigger one with a garden! Does anyone recommend i add anything else? I will also be purchasing hanging light cords. I make sure he gets enough sun while its still warm out though :cool:

Attachments

• 1440086963782.jpg
    1440086963782.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 29

Dessy

Here is a photo of him. Hes still small

Attachments

• 1440087069960.jpg
    1440087069960.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 27

Chantel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuba City, CA
Welcome! Great job on researching and learning about the benefits of humidity. You might not need to invest in a humidifier. Coco coir as a substrate works awesome, and holds moisture well for the torts. Be sure to keep reading the care sheets!!!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Welcome to TFO!!:tort: The most efficient way to keep the humidity in is to find a way to cover the enclosure so that no air can escape. This is called a closed chamber. Like Chantel said, coco coir is great at holding humidity and so is orchid bark. If you have a closed chamber and moist substrate you won't need a humidifier. What are your temps in the enclosure (warm side, cool side, basking and night)? What are you using for light and heat?

Here is a link to the closed chamber thread for more info: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome
There's lots of ideas on the Enclosure thread for how to adapt a table for humidity.
You may want to line that table with plastic before adding the substrate so the damp doesn't affect the wood and make it mouldy.

Dessy

I covered his enclosure with a plexiglass dome leaving one side open for his lights (i read as long as its 3/4th closed it should hold moisture) and added a small bamboo-like humidifier and now his humidity is at 70% and he loves it! He walked out from his corner to the middle and has his head up and his eyes closed and he looks so comfy :) :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Make sure your temps are high enough with the humidifier
Hot + humidity = healthy tort
Too cold + humidity = sick tort.

Most people manage with moist substrate in small enclosures so make sure the humidifier doesn't make it too humid.