Help! Sulcata hates her enclosure

Kay8605

Location (City and/or State)
West Coast of Florida
I have a 14-16 lb female sulcata in sunny Florida. We have made attempts at creating a comfortable enclosure for her but thus far have remained unsuccessful. We experimented with wood fencing and cinder blocks for the barricades, overturned pots/totes and a custom lean-to for the shelter, grass and pine bark for the substrate. We also have a sun shade over 50% of her enclosure.

To us, she seems restless and discontent, always walking the perimeter, digging massive holes, sleeping in the open, and occasionally pushing out a cinder block. I allow her to graze for 1-4 hours per day, sometimes more (weather permitting), and during that time she usually eats her fill and goes to rest in one of her handful of favorite spots. She rarely tries to "escape" when she is given free reign of the back yard.

She came to us from an animal shelter and we aren't sure of her story but it is apparent that she suffered some trauma based on old scars on her shell and the fact that she is missing her right eye. She is understandably head shy, and does like to wedge herself face first into corners. I'd like to be able to keep her in a enclosure to keep a handle on the tortoise poo (I have three dogs who love to eat it and then promptly throw it up on the floor/carpet), but am having a hard time coming up with something that she finds comfortable. Any thoughts, suggestions, constructive criticism, would be helpful!

Penelope.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of the behavior you describe sounds like normal sulcata behavior.

In a hot climate, they need to get underground to cool off. Even in the shade, it is just too hot when its 100+.

What size enclosure are you making for her? Can we see a pic? Most people go too small, but even if you go big, they still tend to pace the perimeter and try to find a way out until they get used to the new area.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have a sulcata, but what I have read, she sounds pretty normal. My leapards roam the perimeter of their enclosures more then any other part of it. Because sulcatas can be such bull dozers, they do need a sturdy enclosure. Most tortoises want out if they can see out too. How big of an enclosure does she have? Maybe build her a hide with 3 sides and a roof to feel more secure in then just a lean to.

Kay8605

West Coast of Florida
Good to know that her behavior is normal versus just from us being dumb tortoise parents! I don't have a picture available at this moment but I can guess that her pen is 10'x10', square. I know that it will need to be increased as she grows, but I wasn't sure if this space is considered too small for her at this stage.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the tortoise has been allowed to know there is a big, wide, wonderful world outside the perimeter of her enclosure, she will not be happy to be contained.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use 30x30 pens, or bigger, for my 8 to 10" juveniles. 10x10 would be ok for a 5-6" tortoise for a while, but bigger would be better.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have a 14-16 lb female sulcata in sunny Florida. We have made attempts at creating a comfortable enclosure for her but thus far have remained unsuccessful. We experimented with wood fencing and cinder blocks for the barricades, overturned pots/totes and a custom lean-to for the shelter, grass and pine bark for the substrate. We also have a sun shade over 50% of her enclosure.

To us, she seems restless and discontent, always walking the perimeter, digging massive holes, sleeping in the open, and occasionally pushing out a cinder block. I allow her to graze for 1-4 hours per day, sometimes more (weather permitting), and during that time she usually eats her fill and goes to rest in one of her handful of favorite spots. She rarely tries to "escape" when she is given free reign of the back yard.

She came to us from an animal shelter and we aren't sure of her story but it is apparent that she suffered some trauma based on old scars on her shell and the fact that she is missing her right eye. She is understandably head shy, and does like to wedge herself face first into corners. I'd like to be able to keep her in a enclosure to keep a handle on the tortoise poo (I have three dogs who love to eat it and then promptly throw it up on the floor/carpet), but am having a hard time coming up with something that she finds comfortable. Any thoughts, suggestions, constructive criticism, would be helpful!

View attachment 185331
A very warm welcome to the forum! :)

How long have you had your sweet tort? These cute animals do NOT change therefore they need time to adapt. That could be the case with your tort.;)

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I just increased the size of Speedy's enclosure to 10' by about 24' . He is just over 9 "s and he manages to pace every inch of it ! I guess its just what they do !

surfergirl

I agree with everyone - very normal behavior.
my big guy paces some too, eventually though they seem to settle in more and it is less searching the perimeter. a nice tort house helps cut down on their pacing or at least it did with my guy. He goes in and hangs out around the door like a watch dog. he will walk around for a bit looking for greens/food and then park it in the door way watching out for intruders. I put his new bigger house slap dab in the middle of his summer enclosure this time and it blocks his site lines so he thinks his pen is better and having it open up on the other side of his house gives him a feeling of new space and less curiosity of what is outside the wood boards. it really seems to help that he cannot see the whole enclosure from all angles. I play hide and seek with him as he searches for me on the other side of his house- pretty funny game for him. he has gotten pretty smart at it.

Sullys are so beautiful and you are special for taking her in even though she lost her eye and has damage from injuries. some people would be reluctant to adopt the not so perfect torts. I think these battle scars make them very special.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Kay8605 .:) Tell me please, how's your cute tort doing today? Any change? Hope things are better.:D