Help with buying?

anm1221

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
My birthday just passed and once again my dad is mentioning how he wants to get me a tortoise. He did the same thing around my graduation. So there is no telling if it's for real or not I tried to tell him the in the beginning it is a little expensive because your buying the tortoise and the supplies and everything. he talked about going to pets mart, I quickly told him no. Because many of the tortoises are wild caught and not kept in good health, such and such he said "oh well than where do you get a tortoise?" I told him about tortoisesupply.com and how you could buy a tortoise and starter lot, and how if I needed to I could probably find some breeders. I know of one called kamp kenan who is based out of Florida and how we would most likely have to ship the tortoise. But if anyone knows any other breeders or options I would like some input. If it all falls through this would be my first tortoise and I need educating. I want to get a baby but I'm not sure either Bc I have heard it's hard but it is rewarding if you try hard. I Live in Maryland if that helps any. For some reason I find myself drawn to hermanns tortoises I don't know why, but I like the Greek tortoises also. Both species have really wonderful shell patterns, also what is b grade? And the differences between different Greek species (I saw a red Greek but it didn't look different than a golden Greek) any help is appreciated.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Hey, you. I was wondering how your search was going. You mentioned tortoisesupply and I highly recommend them. As for baby or well-started, I don't have much experience knowing the difference between the two, but if you have the optimal setup started for the species you want, I don't see why you couldn't get a baby. Just make sure to get one from a reputable source. I'm always around if you need help.. or food. I have a boatload of tortoise food to share with any locals lol..

As for the "red" Greek. It might be some fancy name someone put to make it seem rarer (aka more money). Not sure though. And I think grade b torts just mean their shells aren't perfect or symmetrical.

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
anm1221 said:
My birthday just passed and once again my dad is mentioning how he wants to get me a tortoise. He did the same thing around my graduation. So there is no telling if it's for real or not I tried to tell him the in the beginning it is a little expensive because your buying the tortoise and the supplies and everything. he talked about going to pets mart, I quickly told him no. Because many of the tortoises are wild caught and not kept in good health, such and such he said "oh well than where do you get a tortoise?" I told him about tortoisesupply.com and how you could buy a tortoise and starter lot, and how if I needed to I could probably find some breeders. I know of one called kamp kenan who is based out of Florida and how we would most likely have to ship the tortoise. But if anyone knows any other breeders or options I would like some input. If it all falls through this would be my first tortoise and I need educating. I want to get a baby but I'm not sure either Bc I have heard it's hard but it is rewarding if you try hard. I Live in Maryland if that helps any. For some reason I find myself drawn to hermanns tortoises I don't know why, but I like the Greek tortoises also. Both species have really wonderful shell patterns, also what is b grade? And the differences between different Greek species (I saw a red Greek but it didn't look different than a golden Greek) any help is appreciated.

Hello,
It's good that you know how much work it's going to be before getting into it. I actually just got a hatchling this past saturday from the breeder Kamp Kenan. He was hatched on Jan 20th and is doing wonderful so far. I talked to the breeder in person at Repticon in Orlando and he seemed pretty knowledgeable. Also I've sent him some messages on facebook and he is quick to respond. I would recommend him. I've also read a lot of good things about tortoisesupply.com and arizonatortoisecompound.com. As far as the "B" grade goes.... That means there are small imperfections like an extra shell scute that makes the shell look unsymmetrical.

anm1221

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thanks for the help. And yea I'm hoping everything will fall through. I know which tortoise I want it's just a matter of saving now. But if I get one as a gift I can just use what i have to frequently supply myself.

BowDownBowser said:
anm1221 said:

Hello,
It's good that you know how much work it's going to be before getting into it. I actually just got a hatchling this past saturday from the breeder Kamp Kenan. He was hatched on Jan 20th and is doing wonderful so far. I talked to the breeder in person at Repticon in Orlando and he seemed pretty knowledgeable. Also I've sent him some messages on facebook and he is quick to respond. I would recommend him. I've also read a lot of good things about tortoisesupply.com and arizonatortoisecompound.com. As far as the "B" grade goes.... That means there are small imperfections like an extra shell scute that makes the shell look unsymmetrical.

Thanks so much! I've talked with him before and he seemed really knowledgeable and he is quick to respond on Facebook if I need help. So I was really thinking of getting my tortoise from him!