New Leopard owner

will96

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
Hi all, I got a 3 month old Leopard tortoise about a week ago. As an experienced aquarist, I should know better than to get a new animal without first knowing more about its requirements... But there seems to be a lot of false info out there on raising these guys. Anyway since getting him at the reptile show I've only seen him poo once in the second soak I gave him three days ago. Not sure whats normal for them. But I didn't know to soak them prior, I've just been doing my research since getting him, and have been doing it daily now for about 15 mins. He eats every day at least a little, but not usually a whole lot, again not sure what is normal, but I'd say on average, the equivalent of a few leaves of spring mix maybe a day (but its been a mix of weeds, grass, spring mix, etc), today almost nothing. I've discovered my night time temps have been too low, once in the mid 60's but mostly more around 70, as I had no heat source in the tank at night. Day time he's got a powersun 80 watt about 8 inches away from the substrate, right below its about 95F. With the tank mostly covered its about 84F where the temperature probe dangling from my raspberry pi is in the picture of the tank. Humidity has ranged from about 44-75% at the same hanging probe in the last 24 hours. I've been reading through the forums and now am a little worried, I was lead to believe they were heartier than it seems they are, and not sure what kind of shape he's in since I haven't had a healthy one before.

Tank is still a work in progress. I just put a cover on it slightly before the temp reached 80F in the pic. Substrate is currently 100% moist coco coir, going to double the volume of it or something similar tomorrow. I'm trying to keep some edible plants in there such as the Gazania which he is eating some. I have a ceramic heat emitter arriving day after tomorrow for the nights, tonight he's got a heating pad under the 60 gallon tank keeping the substrate in the middle about 83F and ambient at 74. Also curious if anyone knows which variety he is?tortipi readings 24hours.JPG IMG_20181008_124557.jpg IMG_20181008_124713.jpg

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
Tortoises bought from reptile trade shows can be a risky gamble. There are many old school and new school breeders that frequent these events because it quick and easy money. However, chances of getting a well-started and hydrated tortoise is not very high. Try to contact your seller and ask about your tortoise's housing conditions to get a good idea of how well it was kept. All tortoises thrive in humid, moist environments. Starting hatchlings off in dry conditions will prevent them from fully developing their internal systems such as their kidneys. These types of tortoises, breed by outdated tortoise breeders have a higher chance of dying within the first year.

A healthy tortoise that was previously kept in a well hydrated state will usually eat and poop immediately after being offered food and soaks when they first arrive to a new owner's home.

Please read this care sheet and follow the guidelines and change whatever needs changing:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

1. Increase daily soaks to 20-30 minutes in warm water. Keep doing this for at least 1-2 years.

2. Humidity level should stay above 80% at all times for young Leopard tortoises.

3. The entire temperature of the enclosure should not fall under 80F for young Leopards at any time; day or night. A good rule to follow for young Leopard tortoises is 100F basking spot, 80F thorough enclosure, and 80% humidity.

4. Generic pet branded heating pads are notoriously known for burning the underside of tortoises and lizards. It's not worth the risk to use them.

5. UV(B) rays will be completely blocked by physical objects such as metal, plastic, and mesh screening. Depending on the size of intersecting mesh, you may lose as much as 30-50% or more UV(B) rays if you do not cut a large around the circumference of the your lamp fixture.

6. Check out the provided link for information on a balanced diet.

7. More substrate will allow your enclosure to hold more humidity. 2-3 inches is generally recommended for non-burrowers.