Sick tortoise.

Tumeera

Location (City and/or State)
Benoni
Hey guys so in a previous post one of my babies was vomiting because of ingested sand. Update he's completely fine now and is back to his old self. However his brother is now sick! I've isolated him because if it's an infection I don't want it spreading.
Sadly there aren't any tortoise experienced vets in my area and that makes me stress more because my baby can't get help from a professional so I'm stuck with helping him at home.

Anyway he hasn't eaten in 3 days and I've tried everything. He seems lethargic and just sits under his basking light barely moving. The stats of all his temperatures, uvb and humidity are correct and I haven't moved him or done anything new to maybe cause stress.

Other than him not eating and not moving that much there aren't any other symptoms. I do soak him daily so he's not dehydrated.

Please help on how I can nurse him back to health at home because vets over here can't help him.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I am not experienced at nursing sick torts back to health.
I have read many times here on the forum to mix baby food carrot puree and warm water 50/50 to soak. If your tort drinks some of the mixture. He will get some vitamins.
Good luck

Tumeera

Benoni
I'm just worried because I had four tortoises all from the same batch and one died from Hatchling failure syndrome. All these tortoises are from the same batch!

I feel like if that's the case with this one all my efforts are in vein because the vet said there's literally nothing I can do about it, that the breeder didn't take care of them during their first months and it's highly unlikely they will live passed the first year so I still have to worry for a few months.

He did say that after a year they should be fine. I'm really worried because I don't want to lose them to circumstances that aren't under my control.

Tumeera

Benoni
Also I soak him daily and he does have his uvb light on for 12 hours a day. He only walks around and moves about when he's outside but still not eating. I've tried grass, baby food, romaine lettuce, Kale, carrots, mustard greens and turnip greens. I just hope been in natural uvb light helps him and he starts eating soon. It's been 3 days and nothing

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I hope all works out for you. I know I get stressed when Opo acts differently for a few days.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You are in a heartbreaking situation. At least it sounds like you have a knowledgeable vet.

Make sure that temps are where they should be. Are you measuring temps at tortoise height? It might be a good idea to raise the overall daytime and nighttime temps about 5 degF .

As Ray said, do the carrot baby food/water soaks twice a day, making sure the solution does not cool. Leave him in for 30-45 minutes.

I don't think I would take him outside at this time. Keep him quiet and in consistent temps. He needs every bit of strength to try to get through this.

If you're sure there is no sign of RI, like open mouth, drippy nose, partially closed eyes, etc., then there isn't much else you can do for him. He'll either pull through or not.

I'm so sorry you are going through this again. Remember, this is not your fault! The blame is on the breeder.