Help! Respiratory Infection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casi

5 Year Member
Hello! I recently purchased a cherry-head, red foot tortoise 6 weeks ago. About two weeks ago he had quite an appetite then he drastically took a turn for the worst. His last big meal was some meal worms, since then he has stopped eating altogether and has only gone to the bathroom twice.

I took him to the vet 5 days ago and he told me he had a respiratory infection because of the foaming at the mouth, puffy eyes and now a runny nose. He has received 4 injections of Ceftazidime and has 5 more to go. I have not seen any improvement in him.

He continues to lay in his water bowl and go in and out of his hide, but will not touch his food. He does drink a lot of his water, but that continues to pour out of his mouth.

I've raised the heat, but don't know what else to do....?

moswen

5 Year Member
it takes a few days to get his nose cleared out from a respiratory infection. he's probably not eating because he can't smell very well because his nose is clogged. if tortoises can't smell their food, they won't eat it. if he's at least moving around, he will probably be just fine!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
RI is tough to attack. It is often a bacteria called Mycoplasma that few antibiotics affect. To makes things worse, there are often other pathogens there- viruses, fungi, etc. According to Mader's "Reptile Medicine and Surgery", there is not a specific, known-effective cure or course of treatment that always works.

The goal, then, is to reduce the number of pathogens and boost the tortoise's immune system.

We reduce the number of pathogens by administering the proper meds in the proper way, and by cleaning the habitat well to reduce the pathogen load there. Disinfect everything you can, replace or disinfect substrate, etc.

Because this is an infectious condition, all other tortoises in the same habitat should be considered infected as well, and also need treatment or they will all reinfect each other.

Boosting the immune system happens when we increase temps (usually 5-10F, but monitor the behavior and adjust accordingly), making sure the humidity is good, making sure it gets access to natural sunlight or a good UVB bulb, offering a good diet with a pinch of multivitamin and mineral to make sure it is getting what it needs to help, etc.

This is one time I like warm soaks. They act as spa treatments- warmth, humidity, easy to drink clean water, and they help clean the tortoise off which goes back to reducing the germ load.

Dr. Mader doubts we ever kill off all of the Mycoplasma, but by reducing its numbers and improving the immune system, we can help our torts resist the nasty stuff.

moswen

5 Year Member
very intersting mark! i had no idea of all this. thanks!

Shelli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Antigua West Indies
I have nothing to add just hoping that everything works out for you & he/she makes a full recovery...

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Good luck!

I'm fighting a RI with Domino. He's on his second round of Baytril. I see some improvement in him, but I just don't know... I have three shots left, and I'm not 100% this will do it.

Casi

5 Year Member
Thanks for all your support! I'm doing my best for him, but each day he seems to get worst even with the shots. I've called the vet for a different antibotic, like Baytril that may be more effective.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Domino is on Baytril, but it's been two rounds and I haven't seen substantial improvement. It's taken 1.5 rounds to see him not breathe out of his mouth quite as often, when picked up. His eyes are puffed closed and he's still not eating. He's been great for a year, and all of a sudden this... It's hard. Once you complete the other antibiotic, maybe baytril will work better for you that it has me.

Oh, he is on an eye cream antibiotic for the eyes, but he hates it and it just seems to make his face greasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.