Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I want to know how tortoises get a respiratory infection. My two Aldabrans live in an isolated pen with the pond on the other side of the fence one side and the Russian tortoise pen on the other side of the fence on another side. The driveway is on the third side and the street is on the last side. If respiratory germs are airborne, then I could imagine that maybe a live germ was blown over the fence from the Russians, however none of the Russians are showing any respiratory symptoms. And I always enter the Aldabran pen from the drive way, never from the Russian pen, so I didn't carry germs into the pen on my shoes. The biggest Aldabran had a foaming mouth about two weeks ago. His water dish was empty, so I just figured he needed water. But then I started noticing he has a lot of saliva, actually dripping out of his mouth when he's resting. He still eats, though, thank goodness. The other tortoise is just fine. So how did he get this germ? I'm lucky in that I know the vet who used to practice at our local zoo and she came out and had a look at the tortoise last week. She said for sure respiratory infection. I'm now giving the tortoise two huge Baytril tablets per day. He will eat out of my hand, so its not a problem getting these into him. One day I put them into a piece of banana and the next day I bury them in a glob of moistened Mazuri. I also increased, or rather, started up the night-time heat in their shed. Just keeping him warm at night seems to have helped quite a bit.

BUT WHERE DID THIS GERM COME FROM?????

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Always fun to answer these questions :D Bacteria are hardly ever airborne, so it's not transmitted that way. ;) The bacterias that cause most infections are already with your tortoise. When a tortoise's immune system is healthy and running right the bacteria are kept in check. Stress is the cause of almost all respiratory infections. This could be a few cold nights, new enclosure, from being with another tortoise, to much light, to much heat, not enough light or heat. There are tons of things that can and will stress a tortoise.
We'll take 2 female greeks of mine. They spent 2 months together outside with 2 males this summer. When I brought them in the males went seperately and the females went together. The inside enclosure is smaller than outside, but not by much. The 2 females didn't get along. Plenty of ramming by both of them. The new female came down with a respiratory infection. She is fine now, today was her last shot. I'll leave her where she is for a few days than try introducing them again. We'll see what happens.
I might try seperating them Yvonne and see how that goes.

Danny

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I agree with Dan. The way I see it RI is a symptom and underlying organism can one of many "bugs" effectively combated by a normal animal but stress it and bang. Think of your horses and the many diseases that show a RI symptom. It just that torts don't have the research and knowledge on them as more commonly kept animals.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It never occurred to me that whatever causes RI is always with the tortoise. Thanks so much for the info! In my Aldab's case I presume the colder nights has contributed to his problem, since that's the only thing that is different.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
Didnt you mention you recently enlarged thier enclosure? New to them, maybe it was scary!

That was during the very early spring. They've had quite a long time to get used to their new digs!!

Yvonne

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
Do you always have to medicate for RI? I had heard to keep them warm and soak them? Feedback?

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...With torts & lizards, once symptoms become noticeable, the RI is pretty bad. So, yes, it is very unusual to get over an infection without antibiotics.
Good luck
Patsy

techiegrl

10 Year Member!
K9KidsLove said:
Hi...With torts & lizards, once symptoms become noticeable, the RI is pretty bad. So, yes, it is very unusual to get over an infection without antibiotics.
Good luck
Patsy

Thanks Patsy!

Status
Not open for further replies.