Help (only eats bananas)

Brittany T

I adopted my red foot about 2 months ago from a place where she was living with other tortoises. when i first got her she was shy but ate well. She has come out of her shell but now will only eat bananas, i can not get her to eat any greens what so ever! sometimes she will take a bite of a cherry tomato but thats it! Does she miss the other tortoises? what should i do!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
She doesn't miss the other tortoises, but she is spoiled by all those bananas. If you don't want her to eat only junk food, stop giving her junk food. If she's warm and healthy, she'll eat things other than bananas if you stop offering bananas.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I adopted my red foot about 2 months ago from a place where she was living with other tortoises. when i first got her she was shy but ate well. She has come out of her shell but now will only eat bananas, i can not get her to eat any greens what so ever! sometimes she will take a bite of a cherry tomato but thats it! Does she miss the other tortoises? what should i do!

Bananas are essentially a food that redfoot will hold out for..so the best thing you can do is to not give the banana anymore for awhile until the tort breaks and eats some greens and does sofor a few months before maybe offering a little banana again more like a treat..perhaps offer a quality organic spring mix and be the one in charge..you see the tort can only eat bananas if you give them to him..likely more a fav food than missing other torts..

Brittany T

i stopped feeding her the bananas but she went 3 days with out eating so i was scared! I have tried all the great organic greens! she is warm and acts normal , i will try again thanks!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, the tortoise is quite possibly happier without the other tortoises.
You must dictate what she eats, not her.
And a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Brittany.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
i stopped feeding her the bananas but she went 3 days with out eating so i was scared! I have tried all the great organic greens! she is warm and acts normal , i will try again thanks!

Three days is nothing..you could go a couple weeks and still be fine..just keep tort hydrated.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

Mash some banana in with the other food items to keep her eating.
Then add less and less banana with subsequent feedings until she's weaned.
You can offer it periodically skin and all after that as a treat
and to deliver any necessary medicine along the way.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
I would honestly try a huge pile of greens and then drizzle them with banana baby food, torts won't lick it off the greens..

Scute Mob

Eastern CT

Endive and dandelion greens are what my guy likes best for grocery store greens. He is a sucker for clover if you have any available near you. I'm with the others, time for some tough love!

Sarah_Marie

There is a product called Critical Care that's available through vet clinics that see reptiles. My torts love it and it comes in Apple banana flavour. It might be a nice and healthy compromise while transitioning to greens?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Redfoots are very adaptable across southern America. In wet seasons they hold out for ripe fruit, they slso eat a lot of protein during the wet season, in dry season they have to put up with a moor arid environment, eating greens and flowers.I'm guessing if you offer fruit constantly, they will only eat fruit. Well actually In not guessing. They will. It's a seasonal thing. In the wild they are starved of fruit throughout part of the year.
You need to either follow the wet and dry season food pattern or imitate just the food pattern.

Last edited: