Only Bananas?

Bear2023

Location (City and/or State)
USA Oklahoma
For the past few weeks all my three toed box turtle will eat is bananas ever since I gave her her first piece. I have given her so many options but she won't try anything else. But I don't want to stop feeding her bananas, becuse I don't want her to starve... What should I do?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sounds like she needs some Cold Turkey. If she was mine, I would immediately stop giving her bananas and just keep giving her other, more suitable food and definitely some worms and insects for protein. If you have her in correct conditions and she is not sick, she will soon start eating a proper diet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You are going to have to play tuff love with her. She can not survive nor is it good or healthy for her to only eat bananas or fruit of any kind
Take a very small amount of banana and smear it onto the other better foods. Do not give her any chunks of banana or basically the smell of it smeared on foods. Continue until she will eat regular foods without banana smell. Then when you do give her any fruit, make sure it's fed this same way.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You are going to have to play tuff love with her. She can not survive nor is it good or healthy for her to only eat bananas or fruit of any kind
Take a very small amount of banana and smear it onto the other better foods. Do not give her any chunks of banana or basically the smell of it smeared on foods. Continue until she will eat regular foods without banana smell. Then when you do give her any fruit, make sure it's fed this same way.
My thoughts exactly

Bear2023

USA Oklahoma
How is it going?
Okay! She has never eaten insects for me, but I have been feeding her Turkey sandwich meat, and lettuce. I think the wormer weather has also helped, because she has been able to spend time outdoors. Thank you so much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay! She has never eaten insects for me, but I have been feeding her Turkey sandwich meat, and lettuce. I think the wormer weather has also helped, because she has been able to spend time outdoors. Thank you so much!
Have you ever tried earthworms? Most box turtles find them irresistible, and they are also high in calcium.

Bear2023

USA Oklahoma
Have you ever tried earthworms? Most box turtles find them irresistible, and they are also high in calcium. Yes, I have. She seem
Have you ever tried earthworms? Most box turtles find them irresistible, and they are also high in calcium.
Yes,I have. She seemed to be interested, but she wouldn’t eat them.