Help - new leopard tortoise

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palmbay FL
Hi. Just got a leopard tortoise she is 3. 11inches there are a lot of information about feeding babies which I have some babies. But not a lot on juveniles. So I need some help please help me

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Hi. Just got a leopard tortoise she is 3. 11inches there are a lot of information about feeding babies which I have some babies. But not a lot on juveniles. So I need some help please help me
Same food but you can introduce hay and stuff.
Leopards are grazers and feed on a variety of weeds and greens. The leopard tortoises diet should be rich in calcium and fiber. If you are unsure about feeding something to him you can check https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ Soaked Tortoise food like Zoomed Grassland tortoise food and Mazuri Tortoise chow can also be included in their diet. You can also grow your food which is what I do. It is less expensive in the long run and a much better diet for your tort. (I also just love gardening so it works out well) You can buy seeds for him here https://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=179
Grocery greens are more expensive in the long run and you need to buy a lot of other products to balance out what they are missing. Grasses and weeds are just so much better.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
Some of the questions that I may have is how often do you feed them pellets food. Do you always have to soak it. hay how much hay should they have.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Some of the questions that I may have is how often do you feed them pellets food. Do you always have to soak it. hay how much hay should they have.
Well most people, including me, feed it 2 to 3 times a week. I soak mine because the pellets are the size of my tort's head and they can not eat unless the pellets are soft, but it really depends on the size of the tort. I would soak mine even if my torts could eat them dry just for extra hydration but you do not have to. About the hay, you can just leave a chunk of Bermuda, or orchid hay in his enclosure at all times so he can chow down on it whenever. You can get a ton of hay at RanchHand. Most torts will not eat hay without a long time to get habituated to it. Hay provides a lot of needed fiber so it is very good for him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is info for the babies:

Here is diet info for any age. It says sulcata, but leopards eat the same thing, with maybe a little less grass and more of the other stuff:

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
Okay so primarily the babies in adult leopards are both the same. I do cut up find hay for my babies and I just leave it in a corner. They like to hide under it they may eat it they may not I don't know but it's there.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
Same food but you can introduce hay and stuff.
Leopards are grazers and feed on a variety of weeds and greens. The leopard tortoises diet should be rich in calcium and fiber. If you are unsure about feeding something to him you can check https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ Soaked Tortoise food like Zoomed Grassland tortoise food and Mazuri Tortoise chow can also be included in their diet. You can also grow your food which is what I do. It is less expensive in the long run and a much better diet for your tort. (I also just love gardening so it works out well) You can buy seeds for him here https://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=179
Grocery greens are more expensive in the long run and you need to buy a lot of other products to balance out what they are missing. Grasses and weeds are just so much better.
Thanks

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
She is here love at first sight.

Attachments

• 15882577212123486242771094389484.jpg
    15882577212123486242771094389484.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay so primarily the babies in adult leopards are both the same. I do cut up find hay for my babies and I just leave it in a corner. They like to hide under it they may eat it they may not I don't know but it's there.
Hay is no good for the babies, and most adults won't eat it. I wouldn't use that indoors because if your substrate is correctly dampened, the hay will mold quickly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of pelleted food? There are many.

No hay at all for babies housed indoors. Hay can be used for bedding for adults in an outdoor night box if you want, as long as you keep it off of any heat mats, if you are using those. Most regular leopards will not eat plain dry hay.

Here is an example of the outdoor night box:
Your new tortoise is large enough to live outside full time with one of these for night heat, rain shelter, and protection from nocturnal predators.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Very pretty tortoise. Enjoy