New owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mfarmt

5 Year Member
image.jpg
Hi all I have just taken ownership of a new tortoise from an elderly lady who has been unable to look after the animal anymore it has kind of been neglected over the past year and she has asked me to take it from her which I agreed however I have no idea how to look after it. So I need some help that's why i joined this forum

1st question is I need to identify what tortoise it is she told me she thinks its a leopard but she's not sure

Once I find out what breed it is I can use this forum for further help such as food, living conditions, lighting etc

So please please help I will post picture asap

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Mfarmt!!

You have a beautiful leopard tortoise. And it needs to be set up outside. Do you live someplace where the weather is fairly mild?

Leopard tortoises prefer broad-leaf weeds and plants, but they will also graze on grasses. I have my leopards outside all the time. During the winter they usually stay inside their heated shed, but sometimes they come out to graze then go back in to warm up.

I'd like to see more pictures, but from what I CAN see, your tortoise looks very well taken care of.

Mfarmt

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply

Unfortunately I don't live anywhere mild I live in the uk so our weather is all over the shop. At the moment it's spring but its still only about 2-5c in the day

What pictures would you like me to take for you as I will do it now

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have to feed grocery store greens, then buy the dark, leafy kind. I think you may have something referred to as rocket salad. That would be ok. Or turnip greens, escarole, endive, etc.

I'd like to see a side view of the tortoise, and a view of the bottom showing the tail area.

Mfarmt

5 Year Member
Ok I will take the pictures now would you be able to tell if its a male or female also do you need the tail to be out if so any easy way of getting them to pop out of the shell

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) how lucky you are. You will need a UVB light, the mercury vapor bulb works best. It's heat, light and UVB all in one. Then you will need a ceramic heat emitter, it gives heat but no light. Works great for night time heat and added day heat if needed. Use coconut coir, dirt, or cypress mulch for the substrate and a clay plant saucer for a water dish. The basking spot needs to be 95-100 and the all over temps 75-80. I would soak the leopard in warm water once a week for 1/2 hour. Feed Dark leafy greens as mentioned, optunia cactus, Mazuri tortoise diet, check out the tortoisetable.org for more plants that you can feed. Also, when the weather gets warm, get him outside as much as possible. Good luck, he looks great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a little hard to be sure from the pictures you've posted, but I'm guessing the tortoise is female.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The two scutes on either side of the tail are called the anal scutes. I look to see where the tips of those scutes are pointing. If the tips point straight back or inward, its female. If they point out towards the back legs its male.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I'd also say female. Do you know it's age? Whereabouts in the UK are you? I know in Manchester its no where near warm enough for it to be outside (unless in a highly heated shed). Im waiting till june to let mine out but shes a lot younger than yours by the looks of things.

You can get great winter diets from ASDA (Baby Leaf Salad, Rocket Salad, Live Growing Lettuce - 3 types, bags of curly kale...) but for most of the time its better to feed cactus (http://www.easycactus.co.uk) - UK cactus site, weeds, grass. I supplement with Zoomed Grassland Tortoise Food - its hard to get Mazuri in the UK I still cant find anywhere that ships here. And You'll need a calcium supplement with D3 too :)

For a tort that size id suggest building your own as most commercial ones arent anywhere near big enough. You can find out how on the enclosures section of the forum.

Coco coir, as said above, is a great substrate to use as it can be moistened to hold humidity - which is mainly needed for hatchlings and yearlings but yours looks older than that.

Now that the weather is warming up and its sunny it might be a good idea to buy some dandelion seeds and other weed seeds that you can grow yourself.

Welcome to the forum! :D

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
he actually looks pretty healthy! but just a warning, they get fairly big! you might wanna change the substrate, instead of paper put maybe soil or moss. they also will need a UVB/UVA light, also a place for them to hide like a place for protection. the water bowl looks a little high also, can he easily get in and out from it?

Mfarmt

5 Year Member
Hi all thanks for all the advice I have just been and spend £100 on stuff for him i have bought a 30" uv bulb and kit 100w basking lamp. A growing kit with x amount off weeds and a block of I think it's called vegetable calcium block to help get trim his beek down. As for substrate I am going to change it once I have made a table the size that I'm going to make is 4ft long by 2ft wide this is only going to be for this year as I plan on turning my shed in to his house for next summer is there anything else I need.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
You could maybe do with getting a thermostat to control the temps in the enclosure - can get them for £40. And do you have an ordinary house timer? This can be used to turn your lights on and off at the same time every morning and night - gets your tort into a day and night routine. The light should be on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours. You can buy 3 timers for £15 at Argos. These are optional things to make life easier, not necessities.

Necessities you might not have: remote sensor probe thermometer or a temp gun. Hygrometer.

Mfarmt

5 Year Member
Hi all just an update

I have some sad news today my tortoise has died within the last couple of hours.

We think she has died from pneumonia as we contacted a vet to explain her sudden illness of stretching her neck and screeching and they had booked us in for an appointment for tomorrow 1st thing however toottie died somewhere between 9-10 pm british time

I would like to know if it is safe to burry her in the garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.