Help! Neck Wound keeps rubbing.

jarvie_j

Location (City and/or State)
Exeter
IMG_1166.jpgIMG_1169.jpg

Hi. Any tips on this wound? I think he may have caught it in some wire on an outdoor run (which I need to sort out).

It does not appear to be infected but keeps catching on the lip of his shell (which makes it inflamed and swollen and more likely to catch). Please can anyone advise whether this will likely heal if I leave it, or does he need cream applied to keep it moist/lubricate it, or even something on his shell to stop it rubbing?

Thanks!

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Sudocrem is a good antiseptic. Clean the wound with some water or tamodine if you have any, then dry the area gently and apply a very thin layer to the cut. Hope this works for you.:)

jarvie_j

Exeter
Thanks. I will try sudocrem first (no otc antibiotics available in the Uk) and make sure we keep the enclosure clean.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
View attachment 270957View attachment 270958

Hi. Any tips on this wound? I think he may have caught it in some wire on an outdoor run (which I need to sort out).

It does not appear to be infected but keeps catching on the lip of his shell (which makes it inflamed and swollen and more likely to catch). Please can anyone advise whether this will likely heal if I leave it, or does he need cream applied to keep it moist/lubricate it, or even something on his shell to stop it rubbing?

Thanks!
That was caused by his shell. They try to climb, the neck is extended, and they lose traction and quickly slip down. It happens so fast they are unable to pull their head in in time and the neck gets cut by the shell.

This is a very hard area to get healed because of the continual stretching and folding of the skin. Tear off a thin strip of masking tape and fold it over the edge of the shell above the neck. Keep the wound covered with some first aid cream. Be watchful that flies don't lay eggs on the wound.