Neck wound from shell

SuzanneZ

Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown
I'm new, but I'm your "first responder," so I'll tell you I read yesterday on TF that you can file rough edges with an emery board like for fingernails. Gently of course. The wound looks ok to me. Others will speak shortly I'm sure.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
If it's not a deep cut (no blood), then there is no urgency. Once sharp edge is smoothed out, wound should heal in a few days

You can use Betadine (povidone-iodine) on the injured area to prevent infection (only once) and apply a bit of Vaseline on top to keep skin soft (any plain, non-fragrant oil or creme should work). If injury gets worse - signs of inflammation or blood - you might need antibiotic creme such as Neosporine.

The sharp edge should be carefuly filed (using a fine nail file, for example). If you don't feel confident, you may visit a vet for this purpose.

Also would put a small piece of a water-proof band-aid over the sharp shell edge (so it doesn't do more harm). If it would not stick to a dry shell, fix it in place with something more adhesive, such as duct tape.

I hope, more experienced members can give you a better advice. But while waiting for them you can start with a band aid (it's safe).

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi I need some help, my tortoise has a little sharp bit on his shell and its rubbing on his neck, you can see on the pic, any advice please, should I take him to the vet, thankyou sharon View attachment 362929
Hello Sharon and welcome from Devon. I have had this problem with my tortoise occasionally, and, as everyone says, just file a bit off the shell. If he objects, you could do it bit by bit over a few days ! I would check all round the edge of his shell, just in case there are any other tiny sharp bits too. Are you giving him calcium - as powder or a cuttlefish bone?
You will find there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum ( I don't mean me) - they are very kind and helpful, and you will be glad to have found them.
Angie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As was already stated. Just file it down a bit. Probably no need to even put anything on it. It doesn't look like an open wound but you can put a little antibiotic cream on it if you feel better using it.

sharon 1970

Southminster, Essex
Hello Sharon and welcome from Devon. I have had this problem with my tortoise occasionally, and, as everyone says, just file a bit off the shell. If he objects, you could do it bit by bit over a few days ! I would check all round the edge of his shell, just in case there are any other tiny sharp bits too. Are you giving him calcium - as powder or a cuttlefish bone?
You will find there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum ( I don't mean me) - they are very kind and helpful, and you will be glad to have found them.
Angie
Hi yes he has calcium i sprinkle it on his food,