help (introducing my RF tortoise)

thepabz1

Photo on 2014-02-18 at 7.40 PM.jpg
Photo on 2014-02-18 at 7.40 PM #2.jpg
i recently got a redfood tortoise (kyle) i built him a 4ft by 2ft tortoise table and filled it with cypress mulch i spray the mulch with a spray bottle every morning and also have a humidifier that is set to go off every 3 hours for a period of 15 seconds to spray his cage down. i feed him every second day usually romaine lets with zucchini tomatos green peas spring mix and a variations of berries every couple days(he doesnt get all of that every day) i live in ablerta canada so it is very dry and cold most of the time there fore he cant spend alot of time (if any) outside.

Last edited by a moderator:

abclements

5 Year Member
Re: help

So what kind of help are you looking for? Things sound like they're going ok

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
RE: help

Adorable tort...I do have to say he looks dry in the second pic....I would suggest that since you live where it is cold/dry---you figure some way to cover most of the top of the enclosure and leave space for the heating element/lights...this will help to retain heat and humidity...what type of heat element are you using for night time? Do you offer daily warm water soaks for this tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: help

Hi 'the':

It sounds like you have everything under control. There are two things I would change if it were my tortoise...I would actually pour water over the substrate then mix it up with my hand to get it evenly wet, and I would be feeding the tortoise every day.

There is some pretty good reading on RF tortoises at the Tortoise Library