[HELP] Injured Tortoise

HelpmyTortoise1

Location (City and/or State)
Morocco
IMG_20180620_194656.jpg IMG_20180620_194730_HDR.jpg IMG_20180620_194837_HDR.jpg IMG_20180620_194949.jpg IMG_20180620_194952.jpg IMG_20180620_195253.jpg IMG_20180620_195258.jpg IMG_20180620_195313.jpg InkedIMG_20180620_194656_LI.jpg Hello everyone. My family found an injured small tortoise on the side of the road (rural area) probably got hit by a car in Sunday 10 June
The first thing they did after bringing it home is apply AUREOMYCINE 1% on ALL the injured parts.
-After 1 or 2 days I applied Iodine to all the injured parts too, I kept repeating that for 2 more days (stoped using iodin) plus using a Chlorhexidine Spray (Antiseptic) everyday.
- I started giving him some sunlight, the first time I did that he started discharging from nose and mouth (dehydration maybe), next day I started giving him water he drank it...
4 days ago I gave him a bath avoiding the injured top area, and trying to wet his eyes, + using eye ointment on his eyes PHYSIODOSE (Chlorure sodium 0.9g), today I tried another eye ointment HYLO-DUAL..
Since the first day He never opened his eyes or ate anything whenever there was sunlight I could see some "bubbles/air ?" in the area marked (Pic below).

NOTE: I can not take him to the vet at all, and animal/reptiles medicines are not available in my area.
Is there anything I can do to heal his eyes and make him start eating again ? I can get HUMAN medicine from pharmacies

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How do you have him set up? Temps, any uvb? He should be kept on white paper towel while he's recovering. Keep him warm, 85F. Needs a basking spot of 95-100F. If they can't bask they won't eat, as they then can't digest the food. Keep him inside so flies don't get on him. Also keep him hydrated, very important.
@Yvonne G can guide you further.

HelpmyTortoise1

Morocco
I have him in a box I change the paper towel everyday , no uvb lights, since it's sunny where I live, I leave him 5-20 min in direct sunlight while keeping an eye on him because he gets uncomfortable sometimes after that I leave him in his box where there is alot of sunlight (NOT direct sunlight) , and he rarely move at all unless it's to change directions or something..
Average temp here is between 87F and 78F, max at night is 64.4

HelpmyTortoise1

Morocco
Put the tortoise for an extended time in sunlight today and she opened her eyes halfway for like 20min but didn't eat and slept after that

HelpmyTortoise1

Morocco
Alright I will do that right now.
Is it safe to use tape water (has chlorine), + the bottom sides of the tortoise are injured

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, tap water is ok. After you've soaked the tortoise, dry him off and re-apply the first aid treatments you've been doing.

HelpmyTortoise1

Morocco
He is still in the same state since we found him, he only opens his eyes (20%) these last 2 days and that lasts for 20min or something, he didn't eat for 13 days..

HelpmyTortoise1

Morocco
Is there anyway to feed the turtle or anything, he didn't eat for 14 days now + feels like he has no balance when he tries to move only rotates

daniellenc

Maryland
You can soak in a 50/50 mix of carrot baby food and water. Make it warm and let him soak 30-45 minutes under partial heat. The thought is he’ll absorb nutrients but after 13 days and considering his state I’d seek a vet or rescue who may be able to help.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Alright I will do that right now.
Is it safe to use tape water (has chlorine), + the bottom sides of the tortoise are injured
The bottom sides are injured? Can we please see a picture of the bottom shell/plastron? Looks like he may really be very seriously injured or been badly crushed. There may be internal injuries and bleeding.

Salspi

Chicago
I’m not trying to be defeatist here.... But, someone who understands such tortoise injuries, like a reptile vet, needs to decide if it would be more humane to euthanize this poor tort. It looks like a very bad injury. If it has a decent chance of making it that’s a different story. It just looks so incredibly painful for such a long time since the injury. I hate to see something suffer so much.

HelpmyTortoise1

Morocco
The bottom sides are injured? Can we please see a picture of the bottom shell/plastron? Looks like he may really be very seriously injured or been badly crushed. There may be internal injuries and bleeding.
here is a pic of the most injured side

Attachments

• IMG_20180704_122033.jpg
    IMG_20180704_122033.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 81

HelpmyTortoise1

Morocco
the tortoise is still alive, I try to avoid putting it in the sun for mere minutes because she doesn't like it, whenever she is in the sun and tries to open her eyes she starts to scratch them over and over, eyes are only watery when she tries to open them, too much/some heat makes the turtle breath bubble out of one of her nostrile..
24days without food.

daniellenc

Maryland
24 days injured and not eating is horrible. Your tortoise needs a vet.

HelpmyTortoise1

Morocco
guys as you can read in my first post, taking the tortoise to a vet is not an option, if it was I would have done that before coming here.
@ShirleyTX no good or bad news the tortoise is still not eating + eyes closed 20% of one eye opens if she gets enough sun. I'm thinking of force feeding her with a syringe, I tried to but once I try to open her mouth she just goes inside her shell and i'm afraid to use force..