Repeating eye problem

earl35420

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia beach va.
It started last week he could not open his eyes so we gave him a warm soak eyes opened on their own no problems noticed. Did good for 2 days then the next morning while feeding him I noticed he was not up. Got home from work checked on him to find that his eyes would not open so warm soak again to no avail so I tried a warm washcloth eyes opened. Good for 3 days then again they won't open. Retryed above methods to no avail. At this point we are very worried! While trying to help him this morning I noticed that when I touched his eyes they seem to tear up but would not open. I'm using old style screw in bulbs from zoomed. No cork screw bulbs. And substrate is zoomed Cyprus mulch. Any help would be greatly appreciated

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A screw thread mercury vapour bulb (MVB) which combines UVB with basking is fine.

MVB bulbs look like this:
7841571C-42F5-4B7C-BD25-0677A1DAB685-4268-000003A024A79717_tmp.jpg

A screw thread bulb that only does UVB is not. It is the type that causes eye problems
These have varied shapes, not always spiral, but look like a low energy light bulb
FEBEF134-BBA6-47F6-9A74-A7D4B30A496E-4268-0000039EBA8FA138_tmp.jpg
F38DEBC7-45BB-4109-AF03-E455424F7C5E-4268-0000039EC1CBD753_tmp.jpg

Please show us exactly what you are using for UVB as this is the prime suspect.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It started last week he could not open his eyes so we gave him a warm soak eyes opened on their own no problems noticed. Did good for 2 days then the next morning while feeding him I noticed he was not up. Got home from work checked on him to find that his eyes would not open so warm soak again to no avail so I tried a warm washcloth eyes opened. Good for 3 days then again they won't open. Retryed above methods to no avail. At this point we are very worried! While trying to help him this morning I noticed that when I touched his eyes they seem to tear up but would not open. I'm using old style screw in bulbs from zoomed. No cork screw bulbs. And substrate is zoomed Cyprus mulch. Any help would be greatly appreciated
What species and size tortoise are we talking about? Where did you get it? How long have you had him?
Is the substrate damp or dry?
Is there a humid hide?
How often are you soaking?
What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

earl35420

Virginia beach va.
What species and size tortoise are we talking about? Where did you get it? How long have you had him?
Is the substrate damp or dry?
Is there a humid hide?
How often are you soaking?
What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?
Russian about 4 inches across.
Bought it from an expo in the area about a month ago.
Substrate is dry.
No humid hide.
Temps are day time air temp is about 94 on hot side and 87 on the cool side basking area is about 100.
And night time temps drop to around 75-78

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russian about 4 inches across.
Bought it from an expo in the area about a month ago.
Substrate is dry.
No humid hide.
Temps are day time air temp is about 94 on hot side and 87 on the cool side basking area is about 100.
And night time temps drop to around 75-78
Sounds too hot for an adult Russian. Basking area of 100 is good, but the rest of the enclosure should be in the 70s during the day. Overnight low should drop to the 60s at night.

High temps all day and night with dry substrate and no humid hide is probably dehydrating him. I'd dampen the substrate, add a humid hide, lower those temps a bit and soak daily for a couple of weeks.

Knowing what type of bulb you are using might help us understand more about what is going on too.

earl35420

Virginia beach va.
This is what they sold me at the expo being changed asap. Is this something that I should be able to treat on my own getting the baby food carrot today as well to try that I'll keep you guys posted thanks againScreenshot_2018-12-29-13-48-04.jpeg

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
No, the white bulb is not ok. It is a type of coiled bulb which is known to cause eye problems.