possible eye problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
i noticed today my leopards eyes didnt open immediatley when i had picked him up to soak him. they dont really look swollen or crusted over. once i had started soaking him like 5-10 mins into soaking he opened his eyes up. im still worried this could be a problem, i tried to pick him up a hour or so later and his eyes didnt open up immediatley. should i be worried and take him to the vet? ive read before if it is a eye problem due to vitamin A diffeciency or a respatory problem possibly? let me know what everyone thinks it extremely worrys me...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it were a Vit.a deficiency, the eyes would be swollen shut. What is your substrate? It might be just a case of being too dry.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I have had some similar issues with mine since I moved them into the winter enclosure in the garage. The dirt gets dusty and they keep their eyes closed more often. I started misting the enclosure to keep the dust down and it made a big difference. Try keeping the substrate a bit more moist for a while before you take them to the vet. If the eyes aren't swollen shut or watering profusely, there probably isn't any need for a vet at this time.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah, my substrate im using is the 50/50 sand and bed a beast, but it is quite dry. after i had soaked him he perked right up. im probably going to change his enclosure to see if that will make a difference, which i think should. i have considered moving to using cypress mulch as his substrate but i always seem to have a problem with humidity. i have a hide for him, but should i transform it into a humid hide?

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
ive also noticed his hunger has slowed down too it seems. i soaked him today, and he was drinking and such, and right after that i put some food in his dish he took like 2 bites and went to sleep. would temperature be a factor in this also?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Temperatures are a big factor with Leopards. Now that is is cold outside, mine rarely move around to eat or sun but mostly sleep. Anything below 60-65 degrees and they start slowing down a lot.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah, so i shoudnt be worrying? hes extremely active when i soak him, he loves it and i usually right after its feeding time. he takes like a nibble, and goes back to sleep. should i try to raise his temperatures in his enclosure? his light i use now is just a basking bulb, next week i plan on buying a zoo med powersun bulb.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
just a update- my little leopard has a respatory infection, doc said she saw some discharge from his nose. she gave me some eye and nasal drops and after i soaked him today he opened his eyes and was alert has could be. thanks for everyones help!

Status
Not open for further replies.