[HELP] Injured Tortoise

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
guys as you can read in my first post, taking the tortoise to a vet is not an option, if it was I would have done that before coming here.
@ShirleyTX no good or bad news the tortoise is still not eating + eyes closed 20% of one eye opens if she gets enough sun. I'm thinking of force feeding her with a syringe, I tried to but once I try to open her mouth she just goes inside her shell and i'm afraid to use force..

Have you investigated the injury....is the injury all of the way cracked from the outside of the shell into the flesh part of the tortoise body within the shell? Or is the crack only on the outer layer of the shell? Is there oozing from the crack and if yes, is it clear or is it mucus thick like? Have you placed the tortoise on the floor out of the box and watched it move? Does it walk? Does it move? I would be careful of soaking the tortoise in anything other than warm clean water...I would place the tortoise in clean clear water only up to the bottom of the shell and I would use a squeeze bottle full of clean clear water and flush the injured areas....then let the tortoise air dry and place back into the enclosure....

HelpmyTortoise1

Morocco
Have you investigated the injury....is the injury all of the way cracked from the outside of the shell into the flesh part of the tortoise body within the shell? Or is the crack only on the outer layer of the shell? Is there oozing from the crack and if yes, is it clear or is it mucus thick like? Have you placed the tortoise on the floor out of the box and watched it move? Does it walk? Does it move? I would be careful of soaking the tortoise in anything other than warm clean water...I would place the tortoise in clean clear water only up to the bottom of the shell and I would use a squeeze bottle full of clean clear water and flush the injured areas....then let the tortoise air dry and place back into the enclosure....

The top crack was deep enough to show the flesh I think, there was oozing that looks yellow like melted fat, the sides I can't remember how deep it was and I can't check it since it looks like it's healing/not super hard.
the tortoise can move it's legs and hide them if I try to touch them sometimes, if it tries to pee it moves the lower body up with it's legs... but once she tries to move with the front hands she has no control over her legs they don't even move, and the movement isn't a straight line it looks like she will flip anytime sometimes

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The top crack was deep enough to show the flesh I think, there was oozing that looks yellow like melted fat, the sides I can't remember how deep it was and I can't check it since it looks like it's healing/not super hard.
the tortoise can move it's legs and hide them if I try to touch them sometimes, if it tries to pee it moves the lower body up with it's legs... but once she tries to move with the front hands she has no control over her legs they don't even move, and the movement isn't a straight line it looks like she will flip anytime sometimes

Are you able to speak to a doctor for humans? If yes, you may want to get some antibiotics that you can use on the tortoise...it is likely an infection from within the tort and if so that can be fatal if not stopped/healed internally.....I would continue to do external treating but I am pretty confident that a medical doctor in your country can supply a mild antibiotic for the tortoise....I hope so since you do not have animal doctor available for help. The antibiotic can be injected for best results, but you will want to have good direction on where in the tort and how and how much of the antibiotic.....

HelpmyTortoise1

Morocco
im not sure if a doctor (here) can give me an antibiotic that will work for reptiles let alone the correct dose... I tried searching here/google I found some antibiotics like BYATRIL (Enrofloxacin) helps, but I can't give my tortoise a random antibiotic for random symptoms, I found this website that seems very helpful http://www.anapsid.org/resources/rxdose.html#turtles but idk what to do. I might be able to get any antibiotic I want from pharmacies.
today I forced the tortoise to eat a little cut of cucumber then I blended cucumber + water and made him drink just alittle of that.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
im not sure if a doctor (here) can give me an antibiotic that will work for reptiles let alone the correct dose... I tried searching here/google I found some antibiotics like BYATRIL (Enrofloxacin) helps, but I can't give my tortoise a random antibiotic for random symptoms, I found this website that seems very helpful http://www.anapsid.org/resources/rxdose.html#turtles but idk what to do. I might be able to get any antibiotic I want from pharmacies.
today I forced the tortoise to eat a little cut of cucumber then I blended cucumber + water and made him drink just alittle of that.

Well, in the situation that the tort appears to be in....almost any antibiotic would be beneficial...the reason I mention an actual doctor is for quantity to be as close to appropriate for the tortoise.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I think it’s wonderful that your trying to help this guy... but at this point, the best thing you can do may be to release it ( in a safe place) back into the wild. Not only was it injured, but taken out of its comfortable surroundings. You can only remedy one of those things now so I would think it would be worth a shot.

Good luck & God bless you for being a caring soul!

HelpmyTortoise1

Morocco
Well, in the situation that the tort appears to be in....almost any antibiotic would be beneficial...the reason I mention an actual doctor is for quantity to be as close to appropriate for the tortoise.

alright thank you for your help, I might ask for ciprofloxacin ..

I think it’s wonderful that your trying to help this guy... but at this point, the best thing you can do may be to release it ( in a safe place) back into the wild. Not only was it injured, but taken out of its comfortable surroundings. You can only remedy one of those things now so I would think it would be worth a shot.

Good luck & God bless you for being a caring soul!

that's a good option too but you should know a few things
the tortoise is injured and I have to spray/clean the wounds, has puffy eyes can't open them only opens 20% of one side, it doesn't eat (had to force food in her mouth), can't walk using all 4 only walks using her front legs while her eyes are closed ...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Are you anywhere near Fez?
@Tidgy's Dad (Adam) is there and he may be able to help you.
Hopefully he will see this and can advise on what is available to help you in Morocco.
Can you order things off Amazon like Adam?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
alright thank you for your help, I might ask for ciprofloxacin ..

that's a good option too but you should know a few things
the tortoise is injured and I have to spray/clean the wounds, has puffy eyes can't open them only opens 20% of one side, it doesn't eat (had to force food in her mouth), can't walk using all 4 only walks using her front legs while her eyes are closed ...

Please do not release this tortoise into the wild....it is an ill animal and will likely not do well.

HelpmyTortoise1

Morocco
Are you anywhere near Fez?
@Tidgy's Dad (Adam) is there and he may be able to help you.
Hopefully he will see this and can advise on what is available to help you in Morocco.
Can you order things off Amazon like Adam?
Unfortunately I'm not. tried to order from amazon but the cost of shipping is very high +40-80$
Please do not release this tortoise into the wild....it is an ill animal and will likely not do well.
Don't worry I'm not planning on doing that !! that's why I tried to explain what's wrong with the tortoise

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Did the tortoise make it?
I think it may be too late for me to help.
And I can't get stuff from Amazon, they mostly won't ship here, I get my stuff from Spain when i visit.

HelpmyTortoise1

Morocco
the tortoise has been constipated for the last 2 weeks doesn't eat as usual and now stopped drinking water , I gave it some pumpkin 2 times gave it one drop of olive oil , put it in warm water etc but nothing worked.. im feeding her every 3-4 days now just alittle to not make things worse
I don't know what to do

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Where are you In Morocco?
It is very hot here at the moment and tortoises do suffer in the heat.
Their appetites are effected by this and they must have lots of soaks.
At this point I would soak the tortoise twice daily in cool water straight from the tap to a level just above where the plastron joins the carapace for twenty to thirty minutes at a time.
I also would give the tortoise several showers under the tap or with a hose pipe to try to keep the temp down.I think the tortoise may be overheated.
Try feeding prickly pear fruit, it's in season right now, very cheap and I find most torts can't resist it.
Please PM me or reply here if you have any other queries at all!
Good luck! :):<3::tort:

HelpmyTortoise1

Morocco
yes, as you might know the tortoise is injured and she never ate by itself only drank water when I got her, started force feeding her etc
I can get prickly pear fruit/palm and try to feed her, I avoid feeding her alot because she is constipated for a long time now +2weeks
I think this problem started because she was dehydrated and has problem moving her legs (they don't move at all unless I touch them or if she isnt walking with her hands)
Thank you for the suggetion

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The fact that the tortoise is still alive after the injuries sustained is excellent.
This suggests that you have managed to keep her infection free, which was vitally important.
She now needs time to heal, physically and psychologically and this, as with all things tortoise, will take time.
Hydration is paramount, but she also needs to eat, food going in one end will help push things through the system and help food coming out the other.
Try a soak for a couple of hours. That usually does the trick and if not take the tortoise on a car journey, this rarely fails to make them poop.

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
@Tidgy's Dad If cactus is available, how about cutting a piece from a pad, peeling it (quite sticky, they are). Put just a small piece of the peeled sticky cactus on a finger and offer it. Perhaps we will be lucky and this tort will be one of many (mine included) who cannot resist the gooey bite. It will act as a mild laxative as well as having a bit of moisture to it. I am a new keeper so would like your opinion.

My tort is an Egyptian tortoise. She also is very fond of some succulents which I encourage because of the water content. (She won't eat all succulents, but the ones she likes, she really likes.) Is that a plant that grows in Morocco?

@HelpmyTortoise1 I admire very much your patience in helping this tort.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, prickly pear pads are also very good.
Usually there is no need to peel them, the spines don't seem to bother the tort, but with a sick tortoise which isn't eating I would peel it to try to make it more attractive as you suggest.
Prickly pear was introduced here many years ago and now is used as fencing in the countryside.
Aloe also grows here, but I have never tried feeding it to a tort, though I understand it is safe to do so in moderation, and, yes, can act as a laxative if enough is fed.
Not sure about other succulents here.

HelpmyTortoise1

Morocco
Before yesterday I put the tortoise in some water and put it on top of a working washing machine (vibrations etc) for a short time, even after taking it out of the water, splashed some water on her back etc, after a while/some hours she started pushing just alittle and pooped some there is still alot to go but that's better than nothing.
Thank you for your support guys