Help . Few questions

Beth1990x

Hello. I'm a new owner of a tortoise and he's about 9-12 months old.
I'm really struggling with his basking spot - the hottest I've got it is 30• is this hot enough ? I purchased a new 100w bulb but this goes way over 40 degrees so took it out straight away so back to using the 30 degree one .he hasn't moved all day today , I've bathed him and afterwards he pood and let out a huge burst of water ? Like i felt like it wasn't a wee but lots of water just shot out from his behind ...is this normal ? Thanks

IMG_3732.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. You need to get the basking around 38C. Do this by raising or lowering the bulb height. You also need a different water dish. That one he could not easily drink from or get into. The clay saucers that go under flower pots work best. Get it big enough he can get himself into it.'I wouldn't worry about the water squirt, may have been gas. He could also benefit and would love a hide to go under.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Beth, and welcome to the Forum!

That's a real good size enclosure for a tortoise of his size, however, the one drawback to it is that the light stand is in the wrong place. It needs to be in the center of the table, then if you cover the table, the light can work its magic and heat up the habitat. Build some sort of framework where you can hang the light directly over the center of the table. This same framework will hold a sheet of plastic. The plastic will keep the cooler air from your house out and the warm air made by the light in. Speaking of 'light', what kind of light do you have?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's ok for the temperature directly under the light to be about 100F, but the rest of the table should be in the 80F degree range, until he gets to be a year or two older, then it can be cooler in there.

Beth1990x

Thanks for you advise , is there a particular bulb or wattage you can advise ? I have tried a hide but he wasn't going into it, think he just prefers the space to March around .he also constantly follows his reflection in the glass ! He also won't eat any weeds or grass- not even dandelions. I've tried treats such as carrot , broccoli, strawberry, grapes, berries from a tortoise mix , kale, spinach - all he wants to eat is cabbage but is this ok? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That table has a built-in hiding place doesn't it? Most of them do. He doesn't really need an additional hiding place, if that's the case.

For those type of tort table I like the fluorescent tube mounted along one of the long walls:

T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg

then a CHE mounted over the opening to the built-in hiding place:
ceramic heat emitter.jpg
(this is heat without light)

And a regular incandescent bulb, about 100 watts, mounted over the end opposite the built-in hiding place:

4d118ade1f443.image.jpg

Once you get this all set up, you need to read the temperature at each location all over the floor of the enclosure. You can raise or lower the two end fixtures to get the correct temperature.

Beth1990x

Is this better (see picture ) I've put my hotter bulb in and put the lamp in the middle and I'm getting the temperate at 38degrees. I'm using a daylight basking lamp 100w and the lamp came with the enclosure but I went and got a different bUlb . I worry so much about him! hes been very strange today , very quiet ( he moves around a lot )

IMG_3735.JPG

Beth1990x

Hello. I'm a new owner of a tortoise and he's about 9-12 months old.
I'm really struggling with his basking spot - the hottest I've got it is 30• is this hot enough ? I purchased a new 100w bulb but this goes way over 40 degrees so took it out straight away so back to using the 30 degree one .he hasn't moved all day today , I've bathed him and afterwards he pood and let out a huge burst of water ? Like i felt like it wasn't a wee but lots of water just shot out from his behind ...is this normal ? Thanks

View attachment 196061
Is this better (see picture ) I've put my hotter bulb in and put the lamp in the middle and I'm getting the temperate at 38degrees. I'm using a daylight basking lamp 100w and the lamp came with the enclosure but I went and got a different bUlb . I worry so much about him! hes been very strange today , very quiet ( he moves around a lot )
Just to add also - the temp is now over 40 degrees as it just gets hotter and hotter -