A few questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandiculator

5 Year Member
Hey, everybody!

My wife and I just purchased a Russian from a pet shop, after some pretty extensive research, but I had a couple questions for you lovely folks, if you would indulge us!

First, about the substrate - I made the mistake of getting commercial fir bark to use as substrate. I've since learned that this is less than ideal for the lil guy, and was wondering if I should use it until it needs to be rotated, or if I should chuck it and use a mix of coconut fiber and play sand right away?

Secondly, when we take him out of his enclosure to get him some exercise (we have an apartment so there's not a lot of lawn space), I noticed he keeps his tail curled close to him when he walks. Is this a sign of the stress of the past couple of days, or is this pretty normal?

Thirdly, some of his nails seem a bit long. Is there a way to file them manually, or should a couple of rocks in his enclosure do the trick?

And, finally, he's been spending his time burying himself either underneath his heat lamp or underneath his half-log, and I've not seen him eat anything yet (which I know may be normal) - is he trying to hibernate, and should I let him?

Thanks, folks, and sorry for coming off like worried newbies - but that's what we are! We just want to make sure he's getting what he needs, and can enjoy a nice, long, healthy life!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I haven't kept russians for a while, but they are one of my favorites, so I study up on them a lot.

1. Nothing wrong with fir bark. Just a different name for orchid bark which many people prefer. You can switch to coco fiber if you like, but I would not use any sand. Some people like a little bit of sand mixed in and some people don't. I'm the latter.
2. Normal.
3. You can clip them with some small dog nail clippers, but don't go too far, and have some styptic powder on hand before you attempt it.
4. Its good that he's burying himself and moving about the enclosure. If your temps are good, and your lights are staying on for 12 hours or more, he should not be trying to hibernate. Sounds like just normal hiding.

He should be eating after a few days. What are you offering and what are your four temps?

pandiculator

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I haven't kept russians for a while, but they are one of my favorites, so I study up on them a lot.

1. Nothing wrong with fir bark. Just a different name for orchid bark which many people prefer. You can switch to coco fiber if you like, but I would not use any sand. Some people like a little bit of sand mixed in and some people don't. I'm the latter.
2. Normal.
3. You can clip them with some small dog nail clippers, but don't go too far, and have some styptic powder on hand before you attempt it.
4. Its good that he's burying himself and moving about the enclosure. If your temps are good, and your lights are staying on for 12 hours or more, he should not be trying to hibernate. Sounds like just normal hiding.

He should be eating after a few days. What are you offering and what are your four temps?

Hey, Tom! Thanks for the quick reply! Glad to know the fir bark is okay - I was pretty worried about that!

So far, he's been offered dandelion leaves and flower, and a bit of clover. (there are also a couple pellets of grassland tortoise food) Honestly, I don't know my four temps - tomorrow I'll be picking up something a bit more sophisticated for tracking temperatures. The one I do know is his basking temp, which is right around 90-91 degrees, according to the thermometer. His enclosure sits at right about 50% humidity, also. The daytime cool area is likely in the 70-75 degree area, and the nighttime is a bit cooler than that, just based on the ambient temperature. We run the uv light and the thermal on a 12.5 hour timer coinciding with the daytime, so he should be getting the light he needs? I hope!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I'm with Tom on all of the above answers, and I have had Russians for years. I don't mind fir, but prefer coco. Definitely no sand, no need to even risk impaction for me. Nails can be trimmed, especially for indoor guys, but some outside rambling will help everything. A healthy Russian eats! Alot! But don't worry if he is off his feed for a few days while adjusting to a new environment. I don't recommend letting him hibernate this year as it could be dangerous if there is any illness in him at all. Only vibrantly healthy torts hibernate, always.
Congratulations on your new lifelong friend.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Hi! I have three Russian (steppe) tortoises. I'm another one who doesn't like sand. Usually male tortoises hold their tails tucked up to the side. I would bump up the basking temperature 95* (you can lower the lamp a bit, or mound up the substrate). Don't delay on getting a temp gun! It is very important to have your temperatures right. Russians bury themselves, perfectly normal. Sometimes tortoises can take a long time to adjust, I wouldn't be worried about not eating at this point.

In Toms signature, theres a link for beginner mistakes, the thread is very helpful. Enjoy your new tortoise!

pandiculator

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses, folks - We've already checked out Tom's newbie mistakes thread, and we're pretty sure we're in the clear, other than the temps. :)

3appleshigh

5 Year Member
UK
When I first got mine she wouldn't eat for a few days, until I soaked her and she finally had a bowl movement, after that she became the ravenous beast I know and love. The food you're offering yours is perfect, however the pet shop was probably only feeding commercial lettuces/cabbage etc so you might want to mix a little with dandelions for familiarity , mine absolutely loves round lettuce

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What sort of UV bulb are you using? The pet shops often seem to push those coil type cfl ones, and those can damage tortoise eyes.

I think some daily soaks for a week or two, might benefit your tortoise at this point. Use warm water in a tall sided opaque tub and get the water level about one third up the shell. Many Russians don't like soaks, but it's okay. The exercise will do him good, and the hydration will do him GREAT!

Weeds and leaves are best, but to get him started eating well, you might try some spring mix from the grocery store, and mix in the dandelions and stuff as you go.

And I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but adult tortoises should really be outside during the day as much as possible, weather permitting of course. Natural sunlight will often stimulate their appetite and the warm sun and UV seems to make them "feel" better too. There are some links in my signature for ideas on outdoor enclosures too. Many people just house them outside full time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Male steppe tortoises carry their tail to one side close to the body.

Steppe tortoises have longer nails than you usually see on other type tortoises.

pandiculator

5 Year Member
Tom said:
What sort of UV bulb are you using? The pet shops often seem to push those coil type cfl ones, and those can damage tortoise eyes.

I think some daily soaks for a week or two, might benefit your tortoise at this point. Use warm water in a tall sided opaque tub and get the water level about one third up the shell. Many Russians don't like soaks, but it's okay. The exercise will do him good, and the hydration will do him GREAT!

Weeds and leaves are best, but to get him started eating well, you might try some spring mix from the grocery store, and mix in the dandelions and stuff as you go.

And I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but adult tortoises should really be outside during the day as much as possible, weather permitting of course. Natural sunlight will often stimulate their appetite and the warm sun and UV seems to make them "feel" better too. There are some links in my signature for ideas on outdoor enclosures too. Many people just house them outside full time.

Thanks, Tom - I'll have to look into an alternative bulb; there were only cfls at the shop I was at. Given that I can't really install a bar-type fixture over the enclosure, what sort of bulb should I be using? Maybe I can cover the fixture some to keep the bulb out of his eyes? We moved the heating lamp a little closer, and now the basking area is at a steady 95 degrees, so I feel much better about that. We got him eating today with some (organic) mustard greens from the grocery store, and he seems to be much happier today. We'll start soaking him daily, too - that sounds like a great thing for him.

And, if I could build an outside enclosure, I would in a heartbeat, but we live in an apartment, so space is limited! I've toyed with the idea of taking him outside with my wife and I keeping an eye on him for a few minutes, but I don't feel comfortable with that yet(and, your thread indicates that it's a bad idea!).

Thanks again for all the input, everyone - it's really helping calm the newbie jitters!

crussellii

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I just purchased my Russian Tort 8/18/12 and I'm having similar issues. I'm mixing playsand and coir. The Pet Store talked me into an undertank heat pad, which I've only used one day after reading threads about them. My little guy hasn't eaten a whole lot yet either. I've been giving him a mixture of Romaine, Red Lettuce, Dandelion leaves and broccoli. I did buy a Temp gun and my temps are right on in the basking area and cool area. I did take him to a Vet yesterday for a checkup and he is parasite free. I do not have coil bulbs. I've soaked him twice since I've had him. He gets light about 12-13 hours a day.

Please advise if I need to change or add anything.

Thanks All!

pandiculator

5 Year Member
Well, some updates! We've gotten him in a pretty regular routine, but there's still a pretty interesting issue - DaVinci only seems to eat out of our hands - if I offer him some greens, he'll eat after soaking and exploring, but if I leave the same food in his dish, it goes untouched. I've tried letting him take a few bites then guiding him over to the dish, but if I don't offer it, he won't eat it. Any ideas what might be up? Thanks!

crussellii said:
I just purchased my Russian Tort 8/18/12 and I'm having similar issues. I'm mixing playsand and coir. The Pet Store talked me into an undertank heat pad, which I've only used one day after reading threads about them. My little guy hasn't eaten a whole lot yet either. I've been giving him a mixture of Romaine, Red Lettuce, Dandelion leaves and broccoli. I did buy a Temp gun and my temps are right on in the basking area and cool area. I did take him to a Vet yesterday for a checkup and he is parasite free. I do not have coil bulbs. I've soaked him twice since I've had him. He gets light about 12-13 hours a day.

Thanks All!

Sounds like you are in about the same boat as we are!

crussellii

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
pandiculator said:
Well, some updates! We've gotten him in a pretty regular routine, but there's still a pretty interesting issue - DaVinci only seems to eat out of our hands - if I offer him some greens, he'll eat after soaking and exploring, but if I leave the same food in his dish, it goes untouched. I've tried letting him take a few bites then guiding him over to the dish, but if I don't offer it, he won't eat it. Any ideas what might be up? Thanks!

crussellii said:

Thanks All!

He ate a good bit yesterday. So I'm not going to worry about him. He has fresh water and fresh greens everyday, so if he gets hungry I'm assuming he will help himself. My temps are right on.

mzprfct7400

5 Year Member
pandiculator said:

First of all eating from your hand is just plain easier. One of my torts comes running every time I'm near, hoping I have food. (even if she has a full dish). And the more you hand feed, the less inclined they will feel to look for food elsewhere. Another thing I have found helpful is that I feed my torts a little bit, 2-3 times a day rather than one big pile. They like to graze, but greens can become wilted and un-appealing quickly under the lights. Hope that helps.

pandiculator

5 Year Member
mzprfct7400 said:
pandiculator said:

First of all eating from your hand is just plain easier. One of my torts comes running every time I'm near, hoping I have food. (even if she has a full dish). And the more you hand feed, the less inclined they will feel to look for food elsewhere. Another thing I have found helpful is that I feed my torts a little bit, 2-3 times a day rather than one big pile. They like to graze, but greens can become wilted and un-appealing quickly under the lights. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply - we feed him a couple times a day, and he's getting better about taking food that's placed on the ground. He had a couple days where he just wouldn't eat, but he's getting more acclimated, so he's now willing to eat!

Status
Not open for further replies.