I NEED HELP PLEASE!! WATER ADVICE?

MaxisMYtortoise

Location (City and/or State)
England
Okay so I just bathed Max for the first ever time alone and the water was too deep (not by too much) and I noticed a few bubbles so I immediately took him out and tried blowing in/near his nostrils (I now know a bad mistake) so I took out a bunch of water and checked on him so much. I eventually bathed him for a little bit longer (checking on him so much) and put him in his enclosure. He was active and I felt him breathing but I researched advice anyways. Most of the things about tortoises underwater were really serious like 2 hours or so. I know a second/a few seconds is still serious but I felt a tiny bit relieved about the nice recovery stories. I tried tipping hip upside down (no water came out) but his breathing did sound a bit watery (like runny) so I don't know do I do mouth to mouth? Do I shake him (I'm pretty sure I don't) Do I push his legs for breathing motion? PLEASE HELP!

After I send this I will check on his breathing and try and here his breathing patterns.

Also how long can a Russian Tortoise last under water and should I see a vet?

P.s I was also worrying because he was dunking his beak underwater but because I was so afraid of him drowning I always stopped it but I think he was drinking.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

Don’t over react too much. Many tortoises will go down below the surface of the water and drink. If your guy was only down below for a short time, I’m going to say hes all fine. Don’t do anything crazy...I’m sure u have him back in the enclosure....just watch him for awhile for normal behavior.

Good luck - keep us updated...

MaxisMYtortoise

England
Greetings.

Don’t over react too much. Many tortoises will go down below the surface of the water and drink. If your guy was only down below for a short time, I’m going to say hes all fine. Don’t do anything crazy...I’m sure u have him back in the enclosure....just watch him for awhile for normal behavior.

Good luck - keep us updated...
He is asleep a lot but he is usually a heavy sleeper.

MaxisMYtortoise

England
They drink through their nose and mouth at the same time.
He has a water bowl anyways it just looked worrying because he kept dunking his beak underwater so I thought he was drowning. The first time bubbles came (my fault) but the second time no bubbles came.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My tortoise literally sticks his whole head underwater when he's drinking.

MaxisMYtortoise

England
I'm feeling really guilty that I made it too deep by accident, it just hit me and I feel so bad. I want to hug Max right now but he is probably asleep. As far as I know, he is doing okay right now.