Help! Blood leakage between the plastron and skin

Madelaine

5 Year Member
My star tortoise is aged 10. Found bleeding between the plastron and skin on 29/12. Seek vet consultation immediately but the doctor didn't say anything, just told me that she gave the antibiotics (Fortum) injection and applied the intrasite gel to the affected area. What can I do? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20231230_123639.jpg
    IMG_20231230_123639.jpg
    591.3 KB · Views: 5

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
@Yvonne G @Tom . Please post more pictures showing entire tortoise top, side and bottom? Honestly, we have heard so many people tell us that "the vet didn't say anything", or didn't say much. I am afraid this may because most vets really just don't know! Anyway, please let us have details of your husbandry of the tortoise - and anything you think may possibly have happened. Thanks.

Madelaine

5 Year Member
Hi Tammyj,

Thanks for your reply.
My star had taken allopurinol orally on alternate day due to increase uric acid for 4 months. At this moment, good appetite, still active. Temperature is around 27 degree celsius

Attachments

• IMG_20231230_132922.jpg
    IMG_20231230_132922.jpg
    863.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231230_132838.jpg
    IMG_20231230_132838.jpg
    948.6 KB · Views: 5

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Madeleine, I assume you are in the US. I live in Louisiana, and have had the best vet help by taking my turtles/torts to our state’s veterinary school. I don’t know if that’s a realistic option for you or not.
Our vet school has a whole Exotics department, and they operate a clinic for animals of any kind in the community to get treatment.
Their pricing is no different than regular vets.
If your state has a vet school, and going there is not too far for you, maybe give them a call to get your tort seen? 🤷🏼‍♀️

Regardless, I hope your tort improves!!!❤️

Madelaine

5 Year Member
Madeleine, I assume you are in the US. I live in Louisiana, and have had the best vet help by taking my turtles/torts to our state’s veterinary school. I don’t know if that’s a realistic option for you or not.
Our vet school has a whole Exotics department, and they operate a clinic for animals of any kind in the community to get treatment.
Their pricing is no different than regular vets.
If your state has a vet school, and going there is not too far for you, maybe give them a call to get your tort seen? 🤷🏼‍♀️

Regardless, I hope your tort improves!!!❤️
Dear Moozillion,
I live in Hong Kong. Thank you for your help. Now, vet ordered CT for my star, the CT film will sent to US for reporting. Thank you

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Dear Moozillion,
I live in Hong Kong. Thank you for your help. Now, vet ordered CT for my star, the CT film will sent to US for reporting. Thank you
AH! I didn't realize you lived in another country.
I think your tortoise is very fortunate to have an owner willing to go to such lengths to help it!
Wishing you the very best of luck with your tortoise.
I will be very interested to hear how it all goes.
Hugs from Mooz