Fearing the Worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derby

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello everyone.
I haven't posted a thread in awhile, but regrettably, I am back with some bad news.

When I went to check on Derby today, he had a large lump underneath his jaw (I was immediately alarmed. At first, I thought that he swallowed wrong or was developing a tumor of some sort).

I rushed him over to an animal hospital that also specializes in exotics. When the vet pushed aside the skin, it revealed a large gash along the side of his neck. Everything inside the side of his head was completely visible underneath the lump.. It was horrible.

When the doctor was looking at him, he had to push back his feet (Derby put up quite the fight). Upon holding his feet, the doctor broke two of Derby's nails and one of the nails began bleeding. Everything just seemed to be getting worse.

I just gave him his first dose of antibiotics and rubbed an ointment on the wound. He's been doing so well lately and I'm torn apart by today's events. I think an animal attacked him by the looks of it.

I'm not sure if he's going to be okay or not.. I'm just hoping for the best.
Wish Derby luck. I know I'm definitely going to be having some issues sleeping tonight.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am so sorry to hear that :( Poor Derby!
He is my thoughts and prayers, keep us updated please.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
that sounds horrible, any ideas what caused the gash?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am very sorry about Derby :( Tortoises are tough animals, and Russians especially are very tough. The ones that make it to the U.S. through the importation process have proved how tough they are. Keep faith, take care of Derby as carefully as if he was your own child and he will pull through.

My thoughts are with you both.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
figure out what caused it to prevent..
he should be fine.. keep it clean and keep the flys away..
Is he still eating?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh Brody: I'm so sorry! Do you have any idea how this could have happened? I know you said you thought it was an animal attack, but what kind? Usually a dog or raccoon would chew on the shell too. And with the tortoise's head retracted I really don't think a neck injury would be the only injury you would see.

It worries me a bit that his toe nails were so easy to break. Has Derby been getting his calcium and UVB?

Derby

5 Year Member
Florida
emysemys said:
Oh Brody: I'm so sorry! Do you have any idea how this could have happened? I know you said you thought it was an animal attack, but what kind? Usually a dog or raccoon would chew on the shell too. And with the tortoise's head retracted I really don't think a neck injury would be the only injury you would see.

It worries me a bit that his toe nails were so easy to break. Has Derby been getting his calcium and UVB?

When I woke up this morning to give him his medicine, he seemed alright. I have to also give him an oral treatment that he refuses to take. When he gets mad, unlike my past experiences with tortoises, he won't open his mouth AT ALL. so i have to force it open..
I honestly don't have any idea how it happened. He does have a few scratches on his shell that i didn't see before, though.

And I give him calcium every couple of weeks. Should I give him more?
And he stays outside generally all day and I bring him in at nights but do I still need a UVB lamp?

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Sorry to hear about Derby. Do you have any kind of weasels near your place? Sound like he's going to be fine. Best wishes.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Sorry to hear about Derby, hope he is better soon! That is my greatest fear of having an outside enclosure. :(

Derby

5 Year Member
Florida
He was doing much better when I got home today. It still bothers me when I have to force him to open his mouth, though. I feel like I'm hurting him.
The legion is slowing becoming less swelled. I still have my fingers crossed. It's a pretty large cut.

I'm now thinking it was done by a cat. I saw a stray in my backyard this morning. I'll have to figure out how to get rid of it without doing it any harm.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If Derby has a favorite food, you can inject the oral medication into the food and let him eat it on his own. I sometimes scoop out the center of a strawberry, put the meds in and them put some of the scooped strawberry back over the hole.

You can also take a piece of romaine, put the meds in a little puddle on the romaine, then roll it up like a burrito and hand feed it to him, holding it so the liquid doesn't run out.

Derby

5 Year Member
Florida
emysemys said:
If Derby has a favorite food, you can inject the oral medication into the food and let him eat it on his own. I sometimes scoop out the center of a strawberry, put the meds in and them put some of the scooped strawberry back over the hole.

You can also take a piece of romaine, put the meds in a little puddle on the romaine, then roll it up like a burrito and hand feed it to him, holding it so the liquid doesn't run out.

Yeah, that's a good idea. He doesn't like to eat from my hand so I don't think the lettuce will work. He's never cooperated very well.

Also, I just noticed he has a bit of dry flaking underneath his shell. It's an off white underneath. It's not soft or oozing anything but it still worries me some.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, its good to be worried about stuff like that, but its probably normal.

LeaCrystal

5 Year Member
wow thats awful im so sorry i wish the best of luck to both of you. i know the tortiose stress feeling :( im very sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.