Fearing the Worst

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

It's my experience that cats are more afraid of strange stuff like a tortoise then we think. A cat would run from a tortoise. I don't think it was a cat but I DO think
yagyujubei had a good idea with setting a live trap. I am trying to catch rats under my house so I use a live trap and you would be amazed with what I catch. So I would set a live trap using either cat food or peanut butter. I think it was a weasel or a rat. Good luck with him please keep us posted...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
cant you also squirt liquid meds in his nose?
get the answer before you try it.. but i think you can.. if it isnt thick..

methos75

10 Year Member!
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
Feral Cats are a nightmare to Turtles, and are in no way afraid of them. When I was younger I raised Box Turtles outdoors and I caught a cat trying to eat one of my females and I set out poison for it. I know people want to look at all cats as pets, but Stray and feral cats are very destructive to ecosystems and should be destroyed when they can because of the danger they present to other pets and to wild populations of native animals.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sorry to hear about your tort. I think a rat is a likely culprit. I've hear of rats eating the soles of peoples feet while the person is asleep.

Derby

5 Year Member
Florida
Yeah, I'm definitely going to set some traps now. And I don't think I can give him the meds through his nose. The vet said to try and keep him from inhaling it.
Also, I'm attaching a picture of the shell just in case its something I should worry about. I was also going to post a picture of the injury but I couldn't get him to come out of his shell.

Attachments

• IMG_9135.jpg
    IMG_9135.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 76

mike1011

5 Year Member
Hello and sorry for your bad experience, I'm sure it will be fine. Sometimes if you get a big straw like from "Wendys" and stab it through a piece of banana or strawberry and place the med in the channel you made it works out nicely.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hard to say, I think it would be difficult for an animal to bite the plastron like that, unless there are marks on the top or side where the top teeth could have been biting the tortoise you could rule out a larger animal like a cat. Unless the tortoise was on it's back it would be hard for a rat to make that kind of damage. To me that seems like he had been rubbing it on something. My male leopards get that on their rear scute when they mate continuously with my females and the females drag them around everywhere.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The nares end in the roof of the mouth. A tortoise vet should know that, that is a little troubling. Putting it in his nose is a completely safe option.

You aren't putting him outside with an open wound are you? I would keep him on clean paper towels and inside until he is healed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That looks a bit like shell rot to me, not chewing damage.

Derby

5 Year Member
Florida
kyryah said:
The nares end in the roof of the mouth. A tortoise vet should know that, that is a little troubling. Putting it in his nose is a completely safe option.

You aren't putting him outside with an open wound are you? I would keep him on clean paper towels and inside until he is healed.

This is really so much help. Thank you.

And no, he is inside and on a towel. The treatment lasts for two weeks so he's going to be inside for at least that long if not more.

emysemys said:
That looks a bit like shell rot to me, not chewing damage.

If it really is shell rot, what are some of the causes? How do I go about fixing it?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It looks like old shell rot to me, rather than actually being active. It probably happened during importation, they are packed tight together and even on top of each other in the shipping crates and they sit in all that urine and feces.

One of my females has a little chip out of one of her carapace scutes that looks the same. It is dry and I have never treated it and it is fine.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
I also use a strawberry to feed meds, works great! they eat every bite. Much less stress for you and the tort.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
omg Im so sorry about derby =/
but, dont worry, just give it the proper care and he will be fine and healthy...
I have rescued tortoises that had been runed over by a car!!!!
imagine that! ... with the carapace completely broken!! :S its awful ....
but they are really strong animals...
no wonder they have survived millions and millions of years x)
I hope it gets better as soon as possible!
keep us updated please

Derby

5 Year Member
Florida
So, I have some good news. It's been about 4 days now and I've seen a significant improvement with Derby. He's eating much more. The swelling on his neck has improved but it's not nearly normal, yet.

Unfortunately, I have bad news, as well. (It's completely unrelated to Derby).

10 years ago, my sister and I rescued two newborn cats. We named them romeo and juliet (a couple weeks later, the vet said he made a mistake and that they were both boys, but we left the names).
4 years ago, Romeo was hit by a car and died instantly.
Today, Juliet was also hit by a car and died within the hour.
In both cases, the cars were speeding and did not stop after they hit them. Romeo and Juliet were both indoor and outdoor cats; and after Romeo had died, Juliet became very solemn and stayed mostly indoors. I'm sure he missed sleeping with Romeo every night (they were identical twins and brothers to the end). I'm glad they get to see each other tonight.
RIP Romeo and Juliet.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
so very sorry for your loss. my thoughts and prayers (in abundance for many tonight) include you.

teri

Status
Not open for further replies.