Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnoll94

5 Year Member
Greetings from Maine!

I joined the site yesterday and am eager to explore more. I've never owned a tortoise before, but am planning on getting one soon Any tips or anything you guys know would be appreciated !

Thanks!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome!! If you let us know, what species of tortoise your thinking about getting, we could answer your questions so much better. :tort:

Gnoll94

5 Year Member
Im planning on getting a Russian Tortoise. Some simple tips or anything would be appreciated. I started a different thread for all the tortoise information so my introduction wouldn't seem to bulky :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

Ask Away!

What kinda Tortoise are you Thinking about getting and what kind would you like to have? (TOTALLY different questions!)

Gnoll94

5 Year Member
I would like to have a Russian tortoise, and that's the one I'm planning on getting.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Russians are nice tortoises, I have a few myself. Usually very hardy, good eaters and thus good for beginners. Fall can cause some problems with them slowing down and thinking of hibernating. You will have to decide if you want to hibernate or not (it is not required), but usually we say not to do so for the first year. They can be great escape artist with climbing out of enclosures, so build with that in mind.

Are you thinking adult or hatchling? Hatchlings are cuter, but a little less on the hardy side. Does it matter to you, if the adults were caught in the wild?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Welcome to our Family!
A russian in Maine is a good choice! small enough to keep inside and will give you entertainment thru the winter months if kept warm enough.
:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Gnoll94:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

jkingler

5 Year Member
Hello, Nolan. Welcome aboard the good ship TFO. :)

Russians are a great starter tortoise - they are generally very hardy, great eaters, and very outgoing relative to most other species, based on what I've read and what everyone around here says.

Study up, plan ahead, and share pictures and thoughts along the way, as everyone here is very knowledgeable and happy to share their ideas, opinions, and experience to ensure torts get the best care they can.

Gnoll94

5 Year Member
I'm debating upgrading my glass 40 gallon breeder for a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tote. I've heard the Rubbermaid totes are a far better choice, can anybody confirm this? Like I said I don't have the tortoise yet, but want to make sure everything is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.