Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaime

5 Year Member
Hello all! I am very happy to have found this forum and hope to gather loth of advice and information from everyone, so thank you! We want to get a tortise! This will be our first so I am busy reading away and hoping we find the perfect little guy for our family! We live in sunny Florida and I am thinking that we want our tortise to stay on the smaller side, I feel that this might be more managable for us. We want to build an indoor habitat as well as an outdoor habitat/ tortise garden for him. The two breeds that we leep coming back to are the red foot and hermans. Please, any:) info you could offer would be much appreciated! I am having trouble finding anywhere local to get our new addition.. I have found a place in florida that will ship but was a little leary about the shipment part? Once we decide on our tortise then I need to figure out the whole habitat thing!
Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi jaime:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!

Besides being your username, is "jaime" your name and what you'd like us to call you?

I think a redfoot would do well in your neck of the woods. I don't have much experience with them, but they're very nice tortoises, and grow to an average, more manageable size. We have quite a few folks here on the forum who breed and raise them, and shipping really isn't a problem if you wait for the warmer months.

jaime

5 Year Member
Hi,
Yes, Jaime is my name :) Thank you for your response!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Both of those species are great and should do well for you in FL. Your climate is really perfect for the redfoot. Several good breeders here on the forum.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
What part of florida? I'm in lakeland, I have a 6 yr old sullie. We just recently moved her outside permanently and she loves it since she learned how to get in and out of her house..l

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Have you considered a Russian Tortoise? I think they are awsome :)

jaime

5 Year Member
mary t said:
What part of florida? I'm in lakeland, I have a 6 yr old sullie. We just recently moved her outside permanently and she loves it since she learned how to get in and out of her house..l

We are near cocoa beach, so not very far. I have been in touch with a couple breeders in florida. Now we just need to decide Hermann or red foot :) we are very excited!

jaime

5 Year Member
pam said:
Welcome :) Have you considered a Russian Tortoise? I think they are awsome :)

I haven't done as much research on the Russian only for the fact that I have been told the Hermann and red foot are pretty hearty and a good beginners tortise. I am going to do some more research on the Russian, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.