Hello!

Krupbot20

Location (City and/or State)
Simi Valley, CA
Hi everyone. My name is Steve and I live in Simi Valley (Southern California) with my wife, son (3 months), Morkies (Panda and Kiki), and 11 poison dart frogs.

I've always wanted a pair of tortoises and after tons of research (Thanks to Yvonne, Tom, Wellington, and so many others for the wonderful information provided in the posts) my wife and I decided on Leopard tortoises, specifically GPPs.

I'm constructing a closed top cage (again thanks to Tom for the great info) and after it is set up and I'm satisfied with proper temps and humidity, I will be ready to bring home some babies. I know the amount of work, love, and money that goes into raising tortoises and I am up for the challenge.

If anyone knows a great place to get tortoises from please let me know. Excited to be part of a group that is so passionate about their animals.

-Steve

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome.

I am glad that the TFO information has been helpful. However, I am concerned that you may be keeping these two together.

Leopard Tortoises are not social. They are very territorial, regardless of gender, and see another tort only as a rival for food and space... even hatch-mates. They don’t get lonely and don’t want a friend.

Groups of 3 or more may succeed in a very large enclosure with plenty of sight barriers so they can avoid individual attention, but there are no guarantees.

You should only ever keep as many tortoises as you have room for separately, perhaps something you missed in your searches.

Kept together, there will be a dominant one and the subordinate one will be getting signals to leave. This may be physical, or it may be mental. Cuddling up together, for example, is actually one trying to stop the other from sleeping in a particular spot.

If you are keeping them together then you must keep an eye open for one being less active and/or failing to grow as fast.

These two will definitely have to be kept entirely separately in the longer run.

Krupbot20

Simi Valley, CA
Hello and welcome.

I am glad that the TFO information has been helpful. However, I am concerned that you may be keeping these two together.

Leopard Tortoises are not social. They are very territorial, regardless of gender, and see another tort only as a rival for food and space... even hatch-mates. They don’t get lonely and don’t want a friend.

Groups of 3 or more may succeed in a very large enclosure with plenty of sight barriers so they can avoid individual attention, but there are no guarantees.

You should only ever keep as many tortoises as you have room for separately, perhaps something you missed in your searches.

Kept together, there will be a dominant one and the subordinate one will be getting signals to leave. This may be physical, or it may be mental. Cuddling up together, for example, is actually one trying to stop the other from sleeping in a particular spot.

If you are keeping them together then you must keep an eye open for one being less active and/or failing to grow as fast.

These two will definitely have to be kept entirely separately in the longer run.
Sounds like I will only be getting one then! My mistake, I thought I read they were not territorial but I either misread it or bad information slipped through the cracks. Either way, thank you for bringing that to my attention. The welfare of the animals comes first. This is exactly why I joined.