Making Him Comfy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas325

5 Year Member
So Atlas (my RT) is still new to the house, had him for about a week, but he still seems to come out only to eat. I coax him out every morning, he eats his fill and then runs right back into his cave. I want him to be calm and un-afraid, is there anyway to help him? Also I have only seen him drink once. :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep doing what your doing, but give him time. One week is a very short time. Some take weeks, some months. As far as the water, keep giving him fresh water every day and also mist his food with water. That way you no he is getting some water.:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It takes time for the to adjust to people, once they do, russians are very outgoing. Just relax and give the little guy time, he will come around.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
Sounds normal to me. Give him time, the fact that he's eating is a good sign. I very infrequently see mine drink, so don't worry if he doesn't seem to be drinking.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
It's natural for them to stay in their den unless feeding or drinking. This is what they do in nature and its what they'll do in captivity as well. Especially this time of year.

Arizonasulcata.webs.com

Atlas325

5 Year Member
Oh that's good :) Yes he has a dish in his habitat, and he drinks when I soak him I was just worried that wasn't enough.
Thanks guys :D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Atlas325 said:
So Atlas (my RT) is still new to the house, had him for about a week, but he still seems to come out only to eat. I coax him out every morning, he eats his fill and then runs right back into his cave. I want him to be calm and un-afraid, is there anyway to help him? Also I have only seen him drink once. :(

That's very normal activity for a tortoise in a new enviroment, especially a wild caught tortoise (presuming that it is). It will usually take a few weeks or more to adjust to new surroundings.

Status
Not open for further replies.