No bowel movements- new to tortoises

KRosin

Hi everyone,

We are first time tortoise parents, and about 3 days ago adopted a small RT from a local wildlife rescue. I guess someone found our little guy crossing a road here in Austin, TX and turned him over. So, I know very little about his history. He is about 4.25" long and weighs 247g.

We built a turtle table for him, and have a warm end averaging between 90-94 f, and a cool end in the low 70's.

Yesterday I soaked him (but I don't think he drank anything), he was fairly active most of the day, ate a heap of greens, then buried himself all the way under. He stayed there for over 30 hours, until I got worried tonight and pulled him out to see if he was ok. I soaked him again, but he didn't drink or defecate. He had no interest in the food either, and has now gone into his hide box.

He has not pooped or peed since we got him, and now has not eaten since yesterday. Should I be worried?

Thanks!20161130_190400.jpg IMG_1370.jpg

Attachments

• IMG951371.jpg
    IMG951371.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 9

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
no need to worry yet in my honest opinion. When tortoises go to a new enclosures they often eat like a pig and then hide for a while until they are sure there are no other tortoises in their new territory.

KRosin

Thanks! Should I continue to get him up each morning for a soak and offer food, or wait for him to emerge on his own?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome

For your tort to be active, the temperatures need to be correct. Your tort is wholly reliant on external heat provided by you and must bask at 95-100F at tortoise level on the enclosure floor to be able to digest food and be active.

The lights need to be on constantly for 14 hours a day at this time of year to help counter your tort's hibernation urges caused by shorter days. Using a timer for them makes life much easier for you.

Temperatures are most accurately measured with a Temperature Gun type thermometer. They're inexpensive from Amazon and hardware stores.

To change the temperature under the lamp you raise or lower it.

I am concerned that you have a CFL (compact) UVB in that double fitting. They can cause eye problems in tortoises and we don't recommend them.

If your UVB bulb looks something like this
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480579224.633273.jpg
or this
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480579250.840574.jpg
Then I recommend you change it for a tube UVB
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480579300.168455.jpg
or replace both it and the basking bulb with a Mercury Vapor Bulb (which combines basking and UVB) like this
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1480579441.236515.jpg

It is completely normal for a new tortoise to be scared and hide away even when things are perfect.

The morning routine you describe is excellent. It will help tour tort to get used to being handled and to you being the nice person that brings yummy food.

My suggestion for new torts is always:
- Lights on a timer
- Soak for at least 20 minutes in warm water first thing, before your tort has warmed up properly.
- Tidy the enclosure and place food during the soak
- Replace your tort
- Walk away and leave your tort to be brave without being watched. You're big and scary at the moment.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Mr Buster

Reno NV
Go to the vet and have him diagnosed for parasites and bacteria if it has not been. Feeding it the wrong food could cause a parasite infestation, Watch Ernie Johnsons video on feeding from Amazon instant. Your enclosure looks good except the glass.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Go to the vet and have him diagnosed for parasites and bacteria if it has not been. Feeding it the wrong food could cause a parasite infestation, Watch Ernie Johnsons video on feeding from Amazon instant. Your enclosure looks good except the glass.
Taking a fresh poop sample to the vet to get it checked for parasites may be necessary, but is not my first thought at this stage.

"The wrong food" does not cause parasite infestation. They're on the ground after being excreted by other creatures usually and get eaten by the tortoise as they graze; this is how parasites are picked up. They are quite common in wild caught tortoises.

I would hope any rescue had already dealt with the parasites and would only rehome what they considered to be a healthy animal.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
Thanks! Should I continue to get him up each morning for a soak and offer food, or wait for him to emerge on his own?
Soak him daily until you do see him pooping/peeling. It should not take long.
BTW Russians can actually take in fluids via the rectum, so even though you may not see oral drinking, they are hydrating during the soak.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since your tortoise was found wandering around outside, that means he's not used to being a captive tortoise kept in a box. He's going to be very upset about his new living conditions for quite a while. Be patient. Hopefully he'll come to realize that living in a box, a very nice box, I might add, is much preferred over dashing between cars and hunting for good food.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't worry as torts do not like change. Therefore they need time to adapt to it.

By the way that's a good looking tort you have. GOD bless.

Mr Buster

Reno NV
When I first got Buster he ate the first day. Then hardly or never ate for seven weeks and then suddenly started eating like a horse. The vet says he is very healthy. I contribute his refusal to eat to high stress in the new environment. Hopefully yours will come around like Buster did. Do not underestimate the terror your new pet is experiencing. Remember, this is an animal that hibernates, they spend like 8 or 10 months underground in their natural environment. They can go for a very long time without eating.

Once he starts eating, I would wait until he goes to the restroom before removing him from the soak. Buster stays in for 40 minutes most days.

Some excellent advice I received from Tom and others if you are concerned about dehydration causing his lack of eating or to get him to eat. Soak him in pedialyte with a couple tablespoons of baby food, Even though Buster was not eating at the time, he was definitely sipping up that water.