Hello...just beginning research

missjmg19

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Atlantic USA
Hello,

I'm in the beginning research stages of deciding which type of "smaller" tortoise to adopt. Will be a joint pet between my 12 year old son and me (we currently have 2 crested geckos, so this will be our second type of reptile). We do not have a large yard (live in Maryland) so we will take him/her outside a few times a week, weather permitting. Need help deciding on which kind to get and suggestions for indoor housing, as well as idea for when we take it outside (can it crawl around on grass?). We do have 2 indoor cats, so indoor habitat will need something on top. Thanks, in advance, for any help or advice.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Take a look at the Russian and Hermanns and the caresheets in the sections. Yes they can be on grass that is untreated.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and ask any question. You'll hopefully get the help you need here. Also, please remember to post pics of your tort once you get it. Good luck. :D

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
hey! if you look at my new enclosure i have a cover because of my three cats. i am a big advocate for russians, they are super friendly, active and mine even likes his head pet lol. i live in vermont and do not yet have an outdoor enclosure. the only thing to remember before getting a tortoise is that they take up alot of space they need room to wander, dig and hide. just be very careful if you take a tort outside as Tom explains in one of his threads. i couldnt find it to share the link but it was very informative. you dont want to turn around and look back and their gone

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
here is an idea for a tortoise table with a cover to avoid cats getting in (and in my case eating my torts food :p) this one has two sides as i have two male russians

Attachments

• image1 (4).JPG
    image1 (4).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • image2 (2).JPG
    image2 (2).JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 14

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Hello & welcome !
I also live in Maryland & i have russians ! I think any Mediterranean tortoise species would be lovely. Are there any specific questions you would like to ask to help you decide better ?

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
here is an idea for a tortoise table with a cover to avoid cats getting in (and in my case eating my torts food :p) this one has two sides as i have two male russians

Wow...thank you so much!!! These pictures are awesome. So, there is no cover on top? Do you know of any types of indoor habitats where some type of screened in cover would work? Also, do they need live plants or just stuff to dig in?

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Hello & welcome !
I also live in Maryland & i have russians ! I think any Mediterranean tortoise species would be lovely. Are there any specific questions you would like to ask to help you decide better ?

Hello,
thank you so much! I was leaning towards Russians or Hermanns only because we want something that will stay small! I'm opened for researching other options, too. Since you live in Maryland, I would love to ask some specific questions!

We have small yard so will not be able to build an outdoor enclosure? Do your russians live inside, outside or both? We were planning on taking it outside for an hour or so a few times a week, weather permitting. Can it crawl around on grass or do they truly "run" faster than you can catch them? I keep hearing about escaping tortoises which has surprised me.

I need an idea for indoor habitat that will keep my cats from jumping in to visit! I had originally thought of 30-40 gallon reptile tank with screened lid, but keep hearing that this is bad for a tortoise.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
hey mine has chicken wire on top so the cats can't get in I am really opposed to glass enclosures because they can stress out the tortoise to see outside the enclosure. I have read that you can use live plants however they usually dig them up I just purchased some fake ones and they seem to like to hide in them they haven't tried to eat them yet lol

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
Welcome! We have 3 Hermann's and just love them to pieces!
Hermann's is one that can be in a small group, that isn't an option for most others from what I have seen.
Just a little fyi ;)

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Welcome! We have 3 Hermann's and just love them to pieces!
Hermann's is one that can be in a small group, that isn't an option for most others from what I have seen.
Just a little fyi ;)

Any advice on reputable place to buy or adopt? Good type of indoor habitat (for ONE tortoise) that will keep kitties out? Also, we would not have permanent outdoor enclosure, but would take it out several times a week. Can it be put on grass to walk around or will they run off quickly (we would stay out with them), or what is good idea for easy habitat to take outside a few times a week.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
hey mine has chicken wire on top so the cats can't get in I am really opposed to glass enclosures because they can stress out the tortoise to see outside the enclosure. I have read that you can use live plants however they usually dig them up I just purchased some fake ones and they seem to like to hide in them they haven't tried to eat them yet lol

Oh - - perfect.....I would prefer using fake plants anyway. Wasn't sure if they needed the plants for eating or just for decor! What do you do in regards to taking yours outside (how often, in what, do they really dig and run away quickly)?

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
Any advice on reputable place to buy or adopt? Good type of indoor habitat (for ONE tortoise) that will keep kitties out? Also, we would not have permanent outdoor enclosure, but would take it out several times a week. Can it be put on grass to walk around or will they run off quickly (we would stay out with them), or what is good idea for easy habitat to take outside a few times a week.

I will let someone that knows more help you with where to get them. :)
As far as walking outside, as long you you know it is safe (pesticide free) they love it! They LOVE the natual sun light. They don't run quickly but can dig in a few minutes and the only way you can see them is if the dirt is messed up.. So you would want to keep a pretty close watch.. They could be under ground asleep for hours before coming back up..
Also, ours are hatchlings and we worry about other animals (like birds) snatching them away.. I've heard that raccoons, groundhogs, squirrels could all be potential predators.. eek!

If you could make one out of a dog crate or something to take inside when not in use, you wouldn't have to worry about losing him. ;)

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
I bring mine outside everyday that Vermont weather permits I have an area that's fenced in but I keep an eye on them and when I take both of the boys out I usually have my boyfriend come out with me because they move pretty quickly for being considered slow animals you would be surprised at how fast you could lose one. here is that link I found super informative http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45180.html

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
I bring mine outside everyday that Vermont weather permits I have an area that's fenced in but I keep an eye on them and when I take both of the boys out I usually have my boyfriend come out with me because they move pretty quickly for being considered slow animals you would be surprised at how fast you could lose one. here is that link I found super informative http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45180.html

I agree... Our little guys move faster than I thought they would!
Almost like their running... in slow motion.. lol