Hello!

Misty-P

Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
Hello, I joined the forum a month ago and have been doing lots of reading on the different breeds of tortoises and their care. Still deciding on which we would like. I prefer the larger breeds and am leaning toward a Sulcata, Leopard, or Aldabra.

I have also been enjoying everyone's pictures of their tortoises! Hopefully I will have my own pictures to share before too long.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Welcome to the forum. Are you located in a warm climate so you can provide a substantial outside pen? It certainly makes their care easier.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. It is much easier and cheaper with the larger species if you live in a Warner climate year round. However, if you can afford to build a proper large insulated enclosure and afford to heat it, the cold wintery climates are doable.

Misty-P

Mississippi
I'm in the southern US so most of the year is hot and humid. It does get cold for a few months, but we have acreage and barns already on the property. It would only take a little modification to get them heated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Misty! Happy hunting.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome Misty , since you are in a Gulf Coast state the temp. is on your side most of the year ! You say you have the room , so I say "go for it !" I would tell you Sulcata's are best , but I might be prejudiced ! :D

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Misty, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum:)
Good luck with your choosing.