Hello...just beginning research

missjmg19

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Atlantic USA
I will let someone that knows more help you with where to get them. :)
As far as walking outside, as long you you know it is safe (pesticide free) they love it! They LOVE the natual sun light. They don't run quickly but can dig in a few minutes and the only way you can see them is if the dirt is messed up.. So you would want to keep a pretty close watch.. They could be under ground asleep for hours before coming back up..
Also, ours are hatchlings and we worry about other animals (like birds) snatching them away.. I've heard that raccoons, groundhogs, squirrels could all be potential predators.. eek!

If you could make one out of a dog crate or something to take inside when not in use, you wouldn't have to worry about losing him. ;)

Oh - - that is great idea....... I just keep hearing that they need sunlight and grass and stuff....... how would they get that in dog or cat crate???

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Oh - - that is great idea....... I just keep hearing that they need sunlight and grass and stuff....... how would they get that in dog or cat crate???

And......we would not leave it outside anyway....would go out a few times a week during warm weather and stay out there with it.

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan

Well, The best I can figure it out- you would create an awesome little home for him (like what you did inside) and when you went outside you would have to put him in it.. At least it should be easier for you to store and move it around..
Just remember (or know..) that they shouldn't be able to see the outside or they will go nuts with trying to get out.. I've seen pictures of turtles climbing fences and stuff. Crazy little buggers. haha
So using bamboo or something like it to block the view around the whole area is best.. It doesn't have to be too tall, just enough so they can't see "the other side of the fence" (because you know the grass is always greener on the other side, even when it isn't.. haha)
You would want to have a tray (even the one that comes with, I would think it ok) so you know lil mister wont be able to get out that way..

I haven't done thins yet, we are trying to figure the outside out now that we have the inside done, or almost. :)

I hope that helps you!!!
Let me know how it goes and what you decide to do! ;)

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Well, The best I can figure it out- you would create an awesome little home for him (like what you did inside) and when you went outside you would have to put him in it.. At least it should be easier for you to store and move it around..
Just remember (or know..) that they shouldn't be able to see the outside or they will go nuts with trying to get out.. I've seen pictures of turtles climbing fences and stuff. Crazy little buggers. haha
So using bamboo or something like it to block the view around the whole area is best.. It doesn't have to be too tall, just enough so they can't see "the other side of the fence" (because you know the grass is always greener on the other side, even when it isn't.. haha)
You would want to have a tray (even the one that comes with, I would think it ok) so you know lil mister wont be able to get out that way..

I haven't done thins yet, we are trying to figure the outside out now that we have the inside done, or almost. :)

I hope that helps you!!!
Let me know how it goes and what you decide to do! ;)

Well, we don't have one yet, but are in planning stages! So, if you are outside WITH them, can they crawl around on grass? I'm trying to figure out how they get sunlight if they are in a cat/dog crate! lol

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
I bring mine outside everyday that Vermont weather permits I have an area that's fenced in but I keep an eye on them and when I take both of the boys out I usually have my boyfriend come out with me because they move pretty quickly for being considered slow animals you would be surprised at how fast you could lose one. here is that link I found super informative http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45180.html

Thank you.....will check this link, now!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
here is an idea for a tortoise table with a cover to avoid cats getting in (and in my case eating my torts food :p) this one has two sides as i have two male russians

How big is each side of this? Is that glass in the middle that they can see into the other side with?

Last edited by a moderator:

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
each side is around 4x6 and no glass in the center, in the first pic it wasn't done all the way and was open but now it is closed off. I know usually it is recommended 4x8 min but with the outdoor enclosure being built they will have more room during the day outside.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Ok it just didn't look nearly that size in the picture.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
thank you! my boys are just getting use to it right now they're on a hunger strike