Hello from Sweden

Maria Ohlson

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
In Sweden the weather is colder and colder so all my Testudo hermanni is now in their Indoor enlosure until its time for hibernation. Inside I use HID-lamps for heat and uv-b and have Light wave T5 as Daylight lamps.
They have been in the greenhouse were they have heating lamps and heating cealing on their night house.
I strive to keep my tortoise with nature as a role model. I feed them frech or dried weeds, Agrobs and sometimes I also give my female tortoise that have layed eggs Mazuri/Nutrazu.

IMG_0531.JPG DSC_0864.JPG DSC_0897.JPG DSC_0250.JPG 13770323_1270693169630775_9139638885330080519_n.jpg DSC_0074.JPG DSC_0117.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Excellent! I love your enclosures, both indoors and out.

Welcome to the Forum!

Maria Ohlson

Sweden
I love all the vegetation in your outdoor enclosure! How often can they be outside?

Welcome from Turkey :)
In spring in about in april I take them outside. In the beginning they are in the greenhouse. When its 15 degrees Farenhait outside they can go in and out as they wish. I have extra heatinglamps and a heating celing on their nightpens so its warm and cosy inside. In the fall in the end of september I take them inside for about 3 months, then they hibernate for 3 ½ months.
So to answer your queston....about 6 months can they be outside with the help of the greenhouse and extra heating.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
In spring in about in april I take them outside. In the beginning they are in the greenhouse. When its 15 degrees Farenhait outside they can go in and out as they wish. I have extra heatinglamps and a heating celing on their nightpens so its warm and cosy inside. In the fall in the end of september I take them inside for about 3 months, then they hibernate for 3 ½ months.
So to answer your queston....about 6 months can they be outside with the help of the greenhouse and extra heating.
I assume that's 15C? 15F is well below freezing (about -10C)

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Welcome to the forum! Love your pictures, tortoises and enclosures. I like they have room to roam in the grass and browse on flowers. Their indoor homes look great. You did a nice job there.

Maria Ohlson

Sweden
Some Pictures from the outside pen. All plants are eatable.
You cant see but I have created small hills to get a more varied pen for them. I also have broken pots/caves to create hideaways for the female.

Attachments

• DSC_0317.JPG
    DSC_0317.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0340.JPG
    DSC_0340.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0321.JPG
    DSC_0321.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0325.JPG
    DSC_0325.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0314.JPG
    DSC_0314.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 63

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Some Pictures from the outside pen. All plants are eatable.
You cant see but I have created small hills to get a more varied pen for them. I also have broken pots/caves to create hideaways for the female.
Wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Maria Ohlson

Sweden
I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to put a link to this in my thread about outdoor accommodation is a colder climate as your climate is more extreme and shows what else can be done! :)
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/
It OK.
Its a challange in Sweden to provide all they need. Hibernation is the easy bit, but to create a summer like in Greece or Spain, here in Sweden were it can be quite cold some summers.
By having extra lights in the greenhouse + uv-b and heating you can create "hotspots" so the tortoise can come up to a good core temperature so they can digeste their food.
I have my HID lamps in the greenhouse on even on summertime.
Spring and autum I also have a greenhouse heating fan. Does anyone here have these heating cealings? Its normally used by farmers for chicken babys, but you can also have them as roof on their nighthouse. If you have them on a thermostat you can program it to only start when the temp is under 15 Celsius for example.
I have 2 heating cealings for their nighthouse ( Se pic)

Attachments

• DSC_0350.JPG
    DSC_0350.JPG
    834.4 KB · Views: 41