Hello from South Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
Hello! I love your leopard, I really wanted to get one, but I do not have the space to build a nice outdoor housing or indoor housing as well, but I am getting a Padloper. My mum is from Durban, and I am from Pretoria, but I live here in the USA now.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Balls said:
Fraserburg.. geez thats far away in the middle of nowhere haha

Yeah, that's why I went there, I knew someone who knew someone sorta thing and wanted to see what people were doing there with semi wild animals. When you live within the range of the animal and have a big managed area, like a walled in backyard, you get to see an abundance of what your interested in.

I first met Desert Iguanas that way, by accident. A woman fed the wild desert iguanas from her back porch. She told me that it got to where if she appeared out her backdoor the iguanas would come running to her. She could walk around from her front yard, no effect, but that backdoor, and bam, dozens of desert iguanas came running up, and ate the greens and grapes she had for them.

I figured there must be some similar in RSA for tents, and with some help, found a similar scenario. I also met a Rancher who liked to eat angulates, so he irrigated a small patch of sheep area, excluded the sheep, and had semi-captive angulates. When he wanted to eat one, there was always one around. I think he thought of it like a Xmas Ham or something. His wife was disgusted by his finding them tasty, but dealt with it. I found it an interesting adaptation.

The late David Morafka had field trials of semi irrigated desert where he made sure "rainfall" was always so many inches a year, just to see . . . It seems supplemental rain is a big difference in a dry area.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.